860 gts,

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

860 gts,

Post by bobnorton »

Just picked up a gts, know "F" all about them, any particular weaknesses? Its a good runner,cone filters,Brembo brakes, Ackront rims, Rita ign, missing complete headlight unit, what was in there?.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

It seems the Rita has covered the main weakness,other than maybe valve guides the 860 is pretty reliable. Making sure the connectors in the wiring harness are free from corrosion[green stuff on the pins] and if it has the block style handlebar switches they are pretty bad but easy to change out to jap units.The real nice thing about them is the abundant torque and stability.Another plus is the fact you will likely be the only 860 in Bromley.I visited in 2008 and noticed very few bikes of any sort on the roads in spite of what was said to be unusually perfect weather.It did make going to Brands Hatch for the BSB round one of the highlights of the visit[other than the 16 pubs in 5 days].
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Wdietz,Its a 1976 reg, what oil do you use,Its filled with new Castrol 50 .As i intend to KS I'm thinking thinner.Need H/L and brackets or the Wire type,also need to know what should be in the H/L ,some seem to be empty ,others full of gismos.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Bob, 50wt. is fine for warm weather use.The crank isn't swimming in oil so starting shouldn't be a problem.Not like trying to kick a Commando with 50wt. on a 40F morning.The headlight brackets were the sheetmetal type and painted black and the lamp itself was an Aprilla with a 7in. light.I think Guzzis of the same years used the same part.As for the stuff inside I think the engine stop device was in there[just a relay that grounded the ign. with power off] but with the Rita I'm sure it was eliminated and power to the amplifier is switched.So you are probably left with the headlight and maybe turn signal wiring.The manual is on this site and the Haynes book on the bevel twins is pretty good so the wiring diagrams are available to you.

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”