860 GT stuck clutch rod.

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

clutch

Post by Lumpy »

Did I miss something here??? I`ve been away.......looks like the claws were out. Anyhow just wanted to throw in my 2 bobs worth as my GTS clutch just gave me a heap of grief.
I went on a longish ride, for a GTS anyway, some 1000 k`s and not far into my journey had to adjust my clutch. No probs but another 200 k`s down the road had to do it again. In my experience that means clutch cable about to pop, which it did. Rode to the nearest bike shop where thery made another. Rode off but it still did`nt feel good. Some 300 ks down the road it popped again. Close examination revealed the tit who soldered on the cable end had not flaired the wires before soldering. Had it resoldered and carried on but strangely the clutch was barley operating even with a good cable.
Got her home and pushed out all clutch rods which seemed fine. Took the clutch off and the tab washer that locks the centre nut on the clutch had sheared off the little tang at the back and allowed the the nut to come loose. Loose primary drive, loose clutch. Put a new washer on her and she`s off and running again.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yep - clutch hub nut loosening out is a common thing and needs to be checked regularly
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
jockduck
Mariana

clutch nut

Post by jockduck »

Yes I have had the clutch centre nut come loose a few times over the years, something that does not help is some play in the splines between the clutch centre and the mainshaft this causes movement which eventualy undoes the nut, I use loctite in the splines and nut I reckon the lock washer is only there for show. Loctite do recommend relatively "soft" retaining compound on loose splines if you use one of the stronger ones you have problems dismantling in the future. Same treatment also applies to the gearbox sprocket and nut.

Jockduck

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”