900 GTS Questions...

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

900 GTS Questions...

Post by mizike77 »

Hi all, I am looking into a 900GTS, not too sure of the year(78?). It has an aluminium tank on it from the factory. Blue and silver paint. I havnt read anywhere about an aluminium tank on these bikes. Anyone know the story? It also has a Rita ignition that runs off the rear cylinders bevel drive. Is this better than stock? Shes ugly, doesnt run, and need work. But its complete and has Contis. Not sure what to offer.....
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

GTS

Post by Lumpy »

FWIW I`ve had a GTS860 since 1984, I beleive they were virtually identical to the 900. Mine has a steel tank however, Never heard of an alloy tank one but that does`nt mean much, sure it`s a factory job?? Rita ignish as far as I know is a good thing. Mine is on it`s 3rd stator, this ones a re-built unit. She did however crack the head behind the valve seat insert on the exhaust valve. I`m told this is not uncommon and the head castings were designed as desmo and don`t take kindly to the constant hammering of sprung valves. This is however just hearsay. I do know of a couple of others that have dropped valve seats. I put some desmo heads on her. On her second big end. Interesting little tid-bit was that the big end thrust washers were both installed on one side of the crank rather than either side of the rods. Done at the factory as the seal was still on the cases. Gearbox shimmed way too tight. So tight that the shims had turned blue from the heat.
But at the end of the day she`s always chugged her way home under her own steam, allbeit on 1 pot a couple of times. I have an SS as well and the GTS makes a welcome user friendly ride. I love her to bits and she`s a bit of a family airloom these days.
I guess it`s all a matter of economics. I`d have another one tomorrow. They seem to go for a reasonable cost these days. Well..........not for the phone number figures their sportier cousins anyway. Chuck in a ridiculous offer and see what transpires, you can always raise the offer. They tend to get a bit funny if you lower the offer......................
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

The headcracking of the rear isn't only on 860's : Darmah were also found.
I think it had more to do with the hot air not able to escape behind the head hence running too hot. Those tanks dropped over the frame and the sidepanels were more forward and deeper.
SSs did have more airflow around the rear head : no problems there.

cu
joseph

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”