Engine stop device

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Eric Gunderson
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Engine stop device

Post by Eric Gunderson »

I have an early (January) 1975 860 GT. The spark is very weak and not enough to start the engine. I have determined that the engine stop device located in the headlight is the problem. These and the upgraded replacement (0960.38.223) are no longer available. Is there an alternative replacement part, or is there a way to repair the original, or is there a way around this obstacle? Any ideas where where I might find the part used or NOS? Any help will be appreciated.

Eric
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

the last time mine failed on a 900gts i once owned i by-passed it. you could start it without a key but the lights wouldn`t work unless the ignition was on. it was like that when i sold it 7 years later.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

stop relay

Post by Lumpy »

Eric, you can just disconnect the relay and the bike will start and run fine. It just won`t stop. You have to stall it. I replied elsewhere to a post about these relays. A friend of mine a lot of years ago with an electrical background made a solid state unit which is on the bike to this day. It seemed simple enough and took him the better part of 30-45 mins to construct. I have the device located in a plastic container under the tank and thats where it lives and has done for more than 15 years. As it gives no trouble I have`nt taken it out of the container or laid eyes on it in more than 15 years. From memory it was a couple of diode looking devices on a bit of that brown electrical board.
I know thats not a lot of help but what I`m trying to relay to you is that perhaps if you took a wiring diagram and the old relay to an auto electrician he`d whip up something similar. The guy who did mine was an industrial electrician but was motor bike mad so had a fair knowlege of DC power.
The bike is not with me at the moment but it will be in a couple of weeks. I could try to decipher what the diode......... type...... looking............ things are and let you know. Sadly my electrical knowlege is limited to "if the smoke escapes from an electrical appliance it must taken to a qualified person to have smoke re-installed".
Eric Gunderson
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Engine stop device

Post by Eric Gunderson »

Thanks for your help. At least I know the engine will run with the stop device disconnected. I really want to either find the correct part or have mine repaired. Seems like a pretty simple little piece. Any ideas where I might find one, or something else that would work. Anyone know of an 860 GT that has been parted out and may have the engine stop device? Any NOS possibilities? My email is [email protected]. Thanks again for your help, Eric
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

eric-if you buy an original,you got rocks in your head,i have been making replacements over the years,they require minimal wiring adjustment and last long time.pm me and work something out.
so much time--so little to say
Eric Gunderson
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Engine stop device

Post by Eric Gunderson »

Fanatastic!!!! How do I get one? I know the originals were NG. Rewiring isn't a problem as long as it works and you tell me what to do.

Thank-you! Eric
Eric Gunderson
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Eric Gunderson »

Nottonite68. Help! I'm desperate! Let me know how to get your engine stop device. Eric
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

nottonight68 wrote:eric-if you buy an original,you got rocks in your head,i have been making replacements over the years,they require minimal wiring adjustment and last long time.pm me and work something out.
as i said--PM me,problem solved
so much time--so little to say
davewfc603
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by davewfc603 »

Hi I have an early 75 860, I made up stop device & kill switch with 5 pin normally open relays, but would like to see what a real person might do, if time can you add me to the intersted list, thanks Dave
75 GT860
davewfc603
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

stop device

Post by davewfc603 »

Hi Eric, I sent you my email address. I can send some pictures that way. My 860 had all the wiring from the tank foward missing. Hours of figuring it out and a couple of cheap relays in the end. Dave
75 GT860

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”