Problems inherent to the 860 GT.......

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

you should check out the iron head forum
cshannon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by cshannon »

There is a notable difference between the frame geometry of the GT and Darmah (SD/SSD) frames. While it is possible to make the GT tank and side covers fit, it would just look wrong in my humble opinion. Either take it back to original 860 GT specs or consider an 860 GTS alternative. The frame would be correct for the body work and bits wouldn't poke out from under where they shouldn't. The GT frame have a square seat loop and the Darmah loop is at a different angle to the SS loop. I really think the very first thing you should do is get a copy of the Parts Manuals for the various models that you're interested in and also a copy of the workshop manual. It will give you most of the frame geometry for each model and then you can decide what you want to do. While it's your bike and personalisation is up to you, try and remember these bikes are becoming very sort after and originality is highly prized. Take a look at : http://www.beveltech.org/ if you want to see the epitome of what can be done to an 860, going down both the customisation and original roads. These two bikes are simply outstanding.

Good luck,

Christo
dewjantim
Mariana

Post by dewjantim »

Thanks everyone for their replies and suggestions. I discovered that my bike is actually a 900 GTS and not a GT as I thought at first. Already have the nicer body work and seat with dual disc brakes. In the next few weeks my mechanic and I will be tearing into the motor. Wish me luck and expect me to be pulling your ear for more info soon.......Dewey ;) .

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”