re-wire 900ss

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

re-wire 900ss

Post by nottonight68 »

am going to re-wire my 76 ss-do it from scratch or buy after market loom? anyone done similar-cost,difficulty etc?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

re-wired

Post by Lumpy »

I did my 76 GTS860 and did it from scratch. I used a switch block off a Suzuki and just fitted a kill switch on the right hand bar off a dirt bike, I long since threw the electric start over my left shoulder. I got a blade fuse box from an automotive supplier, cheap, effective and a whole lot better than the standard unit. Things like ignition wiring and alternator wiring you have to stick with standard but the rest I modelled off the wiring diagram on my XR500 Honda. Hey lets face it, the Japs are pretty good with that stuff. I used a regulator I got from Road and race which was about $150 and works a whole lot better than the standard and has`nt given an ounce of trouble in the 5 odd years it`s been on there. My engine stop relay I replaced with a solid state unit that was built for me by an electronically inclined friend after the standard unit failed. This unit has been in service for some 20 years with no problems.
I simplified all the junk running into the headlight and mounted most of it under the tank (flasher can, engine stop etc)
I`m a marine mechanic and went with soldering all my terminals as is done in marine applications. Takes a little longer but I beleive it`s worth it.
Oh, one last thing. If you go with the blade fuse box and I seriously suggest you do, put in a larger fuse on your headlight fuse. I have an 82 900SS also, I replaced both the regulator and fuse box on that too although the rest remains standard. Both the GTS and SS blew the headlight fuse. The SS did it during the day but the GTS did it at night and you don`t need me to tell you about the stain in my leathers that caused. It could be the regulator as they do seem to charge at a pretty high rate. Anyhow, bigger fuse and neither has been an issue since. I think it`s worth it on all bevels to be honest. Out of all the fuses that can cause grief, thats the one that can cause the most I rekon. If memory serves correct it was a 10 amp in there, I went up to a 15 amp.
I would also suggest replaceing the wires from your alternator stator and ignition stator if you can. I have found that the insulation on these wires deteriorates and will cause trouble. It`s a bit of a pain but both the GTS and the SS have suffered from it and there is plenty of other tales of woe elsewhere on this site.
At the end of the day it`s not that difficult if you have a little DC electrics nouse. From my 24 year affair with the GTS, the switch gear, fuse box, regulator and engine stop relay are the ones that will cause you trouble. The ignition unit too but until someone comes up with a cost effective replacement I`ll have to keep pushing it.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

If you are RESTORING the bike there are new harnesses available.I think they have all the features they came with new.[ Dim lights,poor grounds] If you are going to use the bike, rewiring with heavier gauge wire will improve the light output and battery charging. Adding a headlight relay will reduce the current through the bar switches and add some brightness.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

rewire

Post by nottonight68 »

gotta find a headlight before i need a relay :lol:
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

try this for your headlight http://www.imteq.com/giovanni/E_frame.h ... _home.html I think these are properly for 860 GT despite what it says, probably the closest thing to your needs that is readily available.

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”