860 still running

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
darren nix
Diana

860 still running

Post by darren nix »

if when i turn the key off on my 860 the front cylinder keeps running for another 5 or 6 beats, this only happens when the engine is hot not when it is cold, and i have made sure that there is nothing wrong with the ignition switch, what am i looking for, someone suggested carbon build up, but there is only 2000km on the fresh engine, so is that possible, if so, whats an easy fix or is there a bit of work involved, thanks
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

For an engine to run on there has to be carbon build up on the Plug, Valve or the crown of the piston, this will continue to glow red hot creating the same thing as the plug does , a spark for ignition, this then will re-ignite the unburned fuel gas
check to see where the carbon build up is and go from there sometimes you can get away with it using a heavier oil or a hotter plugs but most times you will have to have it repaired in a shop
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Darren, It's unlikely carbon is causing post ignition. If I remember correctly there is a relay that is controlled by the ign. switch. If you have been blessed by the Almighty and have a working Eletrotecnicca Ign. It is a self generating [magneto] system and the relay grounds the transducers when you switch off the key. The relay should be located in the headlight shell it sounds like it might be corroded and not grounding the transducers. Or maybe you have a poor ground somewhere. Hope this helps,Bill
darren nix
Diana

Post by darren nix »

bill and martin thanks for your replies, looking through the plug hole it looks pretty black in there, not inspiring on such a fresh motor, anyway phil at road and race has just tested my transducers and they are fine, i was trying to fit dyna coils as seen in another post on b. h. but i have been told since that i am unable to go down that path, hence the transducer test, with the ignition relay disconnected i still get the same result, so after viewing another post i might try grounding the transducers to the cases near the clutch adjustment, the bike was running without this problem before i sent the transducers away so maybe i have not got a proper grounding with the earth wires, thankyou for the replies i will inform of the progress
darren nix
Diana

Post by darren nix »

problem solved, after reading another post on earthing wires to the crankcase near the clutch cable adjustment, thats what i have done, earthed both the transducer earth cables to the case, no running on, now to ride on, thanks for the thoughts on what to do

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”