A Fallen Beauty

Some of you guys also have some other Italian beauties in the shed..... so go ahead and post pictures of your non-Ducati Italian machinery here.
Osred
Diana

A Fallen Beauty

Post by Osred »

Well Folks,

Looks (and feels) like my 1977 Moto Guzzi LeMans MK1 has seen better days. This was the result of a left turn by another vehicle directly into my path of travel. I guess we all have to part with our machines some time. Not sure if I will part out or sell as is. Incredibly, the right side of the bike has no damage to mention. I have a feeling that I will not try to get her back on the road by my own urging with so many other projects. Anyway, I think she has been jealous and incorrigible since I purchased a bevel drive Ducati twin! I don't blame her!!! Keep the shiny side up.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by Osred on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Sorry to see the bike like that!
Happened to me as well, but I rebuilt the Mille.....!
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

damn shame

Post by Lumpy »

Now that is a crying shame. What a waste of a lovely motorcycle. Hope you came off in better condition than the poor old Guzzi. There looks like there could still be hope for the old girl. Unless there is more damage than I`m picking up in the photo`s.
Osred
Diana

Crutches...

Post by Osred »

...yeah, those are my hobblin' sticks in the background of the last image. Fractured fifth metatarsal on my right foot. First fracture/break in my life and hopefully the last! Chris
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Osred,
That is a nice machine. I have a '76 Lemans in great condition and there is no way I wouldn't fix it if the same happened to me.
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sgr »

fix it please !!!
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Hey Chris,

You would consider breaking the bike just because of some cosmetic damage???? My wife is still upset at my selling my '78 LeMans. Let me know if you want to sell, I might consider patching it up and riding it across the country.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Osred
Diana

Before/After

Post by Osred »

:-D BEFORE

+!!!+ AFTER
Last edited by Osred on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Osred,
Drop the bodywork off and have a look at the frame and measure, it won't take much. If it is straight it is worth fixing. Did you have insurance? If you did fix it. If not and it is bent then part it out.
Ian
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

The frame (chassis) would worry me most.
I had a similar accident with my Ducati Mille, and the frame was bent in three (!!) places, and was beyond repair.
(I replaced it with a new Verlicchi chromo frame for a 900SS.....)
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

What was the impact like? It looks in the photos that the damage is a result of laying it down. What was the actual car to bike impact like? It really doesnt look like it should be parted out!
Osred
Diana

Impact

Post by Osred »

mizike77 wrote:What was the impact like? It looks in the photos that the damage is a result of laying it down. What was the actual car to bike impact like? It really doesnt look like it should be parted out!
The impact was rather violent from a Mini Cooper directly into the left side of my bike. I was lucky to be ejected up and over the front end of the car before the full brunt of impact was felt, as my leg would have probably been mashed. Amazingly, the bike stayed on its left side as it went sliding down the road after impact.

To be honest, this motorcycle has been nothing but a headache over the past couple of years; coincidentally ever since I purchased a Ducati bevel twin. Not more than twenty-five miles after I finally had the thing tuned and running well, this happened. I'll probably keep her and someday get back to the drawing board.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

The fork tubes seem straight, the front rim isn't bent so perhaps it was more of a glancing blow. Based on my experiences of crashing I would be surprised if the frame was bent, but that shouldn't be hard to spot. I also wouldn't worry about the motor unless there is some evidence that the cylinder has been dislocated. Replace the spark plug and lead and I would think that it would fire right up.

You couldn't break my Guzzi with a hammer. Lots of miles on it with minimal problems. I even rode it out to the west coast twice, once passing by Seattle on my way from the Olympic Penninsula to central Washington.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Osred
Diana

Post by Osred »

abmartin wrote:You couldn't break my Guzzi with a hammer.
Yeah, these bikes do seem pretty stout.
Osred
Diana

Decided to Sell - $4K USD

Post by Osred »

Offering a beautiful, original and rare motorcycle with left side damage from 2008 accident. Right side of bike is perfect. Pretty easy to get back on the road, but I don't have the time. Original mileage 47K, Engine # 072945. WA state collector's license plate (no registration renewal required). Sale includes box of extra parts, manual, reference materials and records/receipt from May 1980 to present.

Prefer local sale (Seattle, Washington, USA), but willing to ship within the continental United States.

Price firm. $4K USD.

PHOTO LINK
http://picasaweb.google.com/cldickie/FO ... tlink[url]

Return to “Italian Bike [non-Ducati] Photo Gallery”