175 Narrowcase Essential Engine Tools?

If you need technical information or help with your non bevel drive Ducati single cylinder Cucciolo, 2-strokes, the overhead valve and scooter motors - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Samurai
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

175 Narrowcase Essential Engine Tools?

Post by Samurai »

Hi Guys,

I've recently acquired a 1959 175 TS which I'm in the process of restoring for the Moto Giro d'Italia in a couple of years. The chassis is coming on well, I've got the a new wiring loom to make and a few 'twiddly' bits to finish that stage, but next is a complete strip and inspection of the engine.

The engine was running (apparently) about 10 years ago, prior to the previous owner starting the restoration. It is all in one piece and turns over fine but I would like to know what special tools are actually 'essential' for the strip/rebuild and which are just 'nice to have'. Obviously there are loads available, but after years of working on belt-drive twins and with a limited budget, I know that although Ducati made special tools for just about every job, many are not actually necessary!

Any advice would be gratefully received -?-
chimera
Mariana

Re: 175 Narrowcase Essential Engine Tools?

Post by chimera »

The only tool you really need is the flywheel puller. If you're going to disassemble the head, be sure to loosen the cam nut before you remove the head, otherwise you'll need the cam holding tool to get the cam nut off. BTW, this nut and the bevel gear retaining nut on the crankshaft are left hand thread. The factory manual shows a clutch hub extracting tool to remove the clutch basket, but these usually come off without the puller. The lower bevel bearing cartridge can be difficult to remove but some simply slide out after heating the case. If they're stuck, some properly sized spacers and a C-clamp will press it out. Matt
Samurai
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 175 Narrowcase Essential Engine Tools?

Post by Samurai »

Cheers Matt,
Just the sort of advise I was looking for, thanks very much -?-

Return to “Single Cylinder Non Bevel Drive Engines > Cucciolo, Scooters, Overhead Valve, 2-Stroke”