Flywheel removal

If you need technical information or help with your non bevel drive Ducati single cylinder Cucciolo, 2-strokes, the overhead valve and scooter motors - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Flywheel removal

Post by rnoel1969 »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and own 2 1971 450 Desmo R/T's. The bike is in great condition except the wiring. I can't seem to find anyone or anywhere that has a flywheel puller for this engine. I spoke with Steve and he told me that some people here know of a way to pull the flywheel w/o the puller. Help PLEASE!!!!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Flywheel puller

Post by Craig in France »

This is the advice that Andrew Jones posted to the Bevelheads list fairly recently:

"I believe there are two types of puller thread: M52 for narrowcase (for models upto 1967) and M62 for widecase (1968 and after). Your R/T is a widecase, so the latter should be correct. Andreas Nienhagen in Germany sells both for 59 Euro. Below is a link to Andreas:
http://www.desmo-ducati.de/shop/< then go to tools.

You can also employ a bit of Bevel Barbarism (© Tom Rolland!) and undo the nut, heat the flywheel with a hot air gun, then a quick tap with a soft hammer and it might come off. I have done this a couple of times with no problem (but then I was replacing all the bearings after splitting the case so I didn't care!). I think the flywheels fall into two camps: either they come off dead easy or the are a real B***H.

For a bad one, you will have to use a puller, do it up tight, leave for 24 hours and then strike the puller bolt with a sharp hammer blow to dislodge it. You may also have to apply some heat to the flywheel as well.

PS Apply some Plusgas or similar before attempting any of the above!

And if you're changing the wires you need to use High Temp stuff."
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Flywheel

Post by rnoel1969 »

You know it's been a long time since i've removed a flywheel. I had done it before on the old two stroke japeneese bikes. Thanks for the info!!

Return to “Single Cylinder Non Bevel Drive Engines > Cucciolo, Scooters, Overhead Valve, 2-Stroke”