Pantah clutch conversion, cable to hydraulic

If you need technical information or help with your Paso based 2 valve non-900 Ducati engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Jerrard
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Pantah clutch conversion, cable to hydraulic

Post by Jerrard »

Hello,
I am looking at doing a conversion from a cable clutch to a hydraulic setup on a 1983 Pantah 600?
Has anyone done this before, and if so, what parts were required?
Thanks..
Jerrard
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

pantah clutch conversion

Post by Jerrard »

I have now found out that this may be a simpler job than first thought. I bought a hydralic clutch side cover with piston intact. Checked out both the cable and hydraulic parts manual and it seems the clutch pushrod is the same. Now the only question I have is where to get a clutch master cylinder? I have read that the hydraulic system is still "stiff" when using the original, so is it better to go for a bigger bore master cylinder? Can anyone let me know if any aftermarket master cylinder is better than the original and can I adapt the round resevoir to keep it looking more original?
Ha det bra fra Norge..
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I have a HMR Millie and at the best of times its still stiff to operate but than again the hard clutch spring might have something to do with that , Give Phil a ring at R&R, But I just noticed your at the other end of the world , I would say any clutch master would to the job for you as you are only moving fluid get your adjustment right and away you go
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Any of the later clutch m/cyl.s would work fine. One from an early Monster or Super Sport wouldn't look too out of place with the coffin style reservoir. You can get a matching brake cyl. too.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I would bo with this clutch master cylinder
http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=602

then you could get a matching brake master cylinder
http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=207

And of course braided steel brake lines, we have em for the clutch AND the brakes here http://shop.bevelheaven.com/SearchResul ... egoryID=35 choose BRAKE LINES AND KITS from the REFINE RESULTS drop down menu top right.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Artie in Oz
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Conversion

Post by Artie in Oz »

Im also wondering if anyone has attempted this from this forum. Ive sent Jerrard a PM but would liek to hear from others.

Ive been told by Gowanlochs here in Aus that I need the hydraulic pushrod, new bearing and the pressure plate.

Ive tried the cover first and its all good. Just cant get the hydraulics to work.

Does anyone have a reference on how to dismantle the slave cylinder which is a part of the clutch cover? The master cyclinder is new, Ive used the model recommended by BevHevSteve. The line is a new braided unit so I need to look inside the second hand cover.

I cant build up pressure, Ive bled and bled at the cover and the mast cyl, no air is coming out, just a gentle trickle of fluid with no real 'authority'. In fact if I remove the bleed screw and hold my finger over the hole it wont blow my finger off...like it should easily.

I know this sounds like it should be a master cyl problem but as its new Id like to inspect the innards of teh slave cylinder and reseal it first.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The piston in the cover just pops out[air pressure,gently!] the seal is an o-ring and they are known to leak and allow air into the system.When you get it apart inspect the bore carefully for pits and wear.If it is pitted badly an epoxy filler could be used to fill or boring and having an oversized piston made can reclaim the cover.

Return to “'Reverse Head' Pantah Engines [rear exhaust faces rearward] > Indiana, Elefant, Paso 350/750, 750 Sport & SS, Monster 600/750”