Newbie on here with a 450RT pile.

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Denis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Newbie on here with a 450RT pile.

Post by Denis »

Hello all,
I've been browsing around Bevel Heaven for a long time but had no reason to join until now. Last year a friend called me up and said he needed room for the old Kawasaki 2 stroke he'd bought and if I wanted it, I could come get the 450 RT pile he had.

I was over like a shot and picked up a complete engine (DM450 455496) and trans with header pipe (which curves over the engine case, back into the frame and out the right side) and muffler, frame and front end. The frame had the shock mounts relocated and the steering head had welds extending it to fit the H1 front end on it. I DO have the complete, correct front end. The front downtube was cutoff because they were going to stick in an Aermacchi motor. I've got the cut off piece.

Here's the engine:

I'm trying to decide whether to repair the frame and get the rest of the parts or keep those and simplt try and find another rolling chassis, street or RT.

Thoughts, anyone? I know they don't grow on trees.

Thanks!
Nick
Diana

Fix it

Post by Nick »

Restore the frame to original, do some head work to get the motor to breathe better and have fun! Pick up Mick Walker's book on the Duc singles and get a manual. Sounds like a fun project.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Denis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Denis »

Thanks for the encouragement, Nick! I think I've found another RT frame, but will over time fix mine.

The Mick Walker book is still in print? Nice, I'll pick it up. I guess that book describes the head mods I need?

Denis
My Le Mans has Contis, so I belong here, right?
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

The head work is sort of optional. The 450s run OK without it, but anything you can do to make it breathe a bit better will make a big difference in performance. Anyone familiar with Duc singles can do the head for you, but don't let anyone else mess with it, because it's very easy to break through the top of the intake port into the valve spring area if one is not careful.
The Mick Walker book is more of a restoration guide, and it's filled with useful information.
I don't know much about the 450, but there are a number of others on this site who do.
Can't imagine anyone preferring an old Kawi stroker over a Duc....
If the book's not in print, used ones should be available on Amazon or elsewhere.
Of course, if a nice, lightweight rolling chassis turned up somewhere....
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”