crankshaft clearance

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Per Garbos
Diana

crankshaft clearance

Post by Per Garbos »

Hi,

I have just startet the restoration of my 250 Desmo from 74, and I hope that someone will be able to help me with following questions :

The crankshaft does not fit tigth into the bearings. With a micrometer I can measure a clearance around 0,001mm 0,002 mm - 0,0000394" - 0,000079".
Is that normal ?

The gearbox shaft and the crankshaft end flow is not correct. Its all to much and therefore I need shims in different sizes.
Where do i buy shims ?

Have anyone experience with dry clutch conversion kit ?

Best regards

Per from Denmark
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Sorry, I wrote it wrong , its ofcause 0,01 mm -0,02mm /0,00039 / 0,00079.

Best regards Per
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Loctite makes a super-strong liquid designed to fill the voids between bearings and shafts. It works very well. The Loctite you want is called, I believe, "Stud and bearing mount."
To use it, you smear a small amount of liquid on the crankshaft journal, insert the crankshaft into the bearing (or vice versa) wait for it harden, then you're good to go.
Classic Bike magazine has advertisements for shops specializing in Ducati singles. These shops have the shims and other bits you need.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Hi,

Thanks for the good advice,

I will use the locktite "Stud and bearing mount" when I am going to assemble the engine.

I will try to find a classic bike magazine and take a look.

Best regards Per

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”