450 Desmo HELP !!

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
b5070
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

450 Desmo HELP !!

Post by b5070 »

Just got a new 450 RR built, and (long story) the motor was supposed to be "Built To The Hilt". well --- that's not quite true, and though it has shown great promise, I need some coaching.
Although I can truly build BSA's & Triumphs blindfolded, with one arm tied behind my back -- I'm needing help doing the top end set up on the desmo. Not even pulled the rocker boxes off it, and would like some assistance from any Desmoexperti relatively local, that I can "look over shoulders" to help me get aquainted. The bike is drop dead gorgeous -- and needs to run as good as it looks.
[email protected]
Salinas, California. USA.
Brid Caveney.
Salinas.California.USA.
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rnoel1969 »

If you find anyone your very lucky. I have been trying for two years to find someone to work on my 71 450 R/T Desmo. Can't even get the local Ducati dealer to work on it. Don't know what to do. Good luck,Ron
Nick
Diana

Valve adj.

Post by Nick »

Much worry about nothing. First of all, you may not need to adjust the valves at all. Checking the clearance is easy, just slip a feeler gauge in there and check it like the book says. If it's within tolerances, bolt the covers back on and go riding. If you do have to adjust them, just get a manual, whatever special tools you need, a micrometer or dial caliper, and pull out the old shims and replace with whatever thickness is needed to get the clearance you want.
Better not to rely on "experts," because most of them are not.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Nick
Diana

450 performance

Post by Nick »

Just an afterthought: Knew a guy who had a "drop-dead gorgeous" 450. He let me ride it once--what a dog. All noise and no go. My stock 350 Sebring with a bigger carb was way quicker.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Nick
Diana

450#2

Post by Nick »

Not to denigrate the noble 450, they can be made to run well, but the head needs a lot of work to make it breathe properly. No doubt, the one I rode had stock porting.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”