'66 350 Seabring project help

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Ducatichris
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

'66 350 Seabring project help

Post by Ducatichris »

Guys,
I'm new to the forum thanks to Bill Swenson!

I just picked up a 66 360 in peices.
Engine is assembled and wheels are on the frame, thats it.

all fenders and gas tank have been repainted and look pretty good.

Everything I believe is stock condition.

What is the best way to go about assembling this bike.
(for all you guys who have done this before)

I would like to eventually put a racing front cowling and lowered handle bars on it to look like a vintage race bike.

I have no expierence with vintage bikes at all.

I have been racing AMA,CCS,WERA, and AHRMA the past few years on Modern Ducati's and an SV1000.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Chris Knight
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Chris

Put the rolling chassis together, then put the motor in--not much to it. You ought to get a copy of Mick Walker's book "Ducati Singles Restoration." Also, get the stock workshop manual.

There is an outfit that makes cafe tank/seat package to turn the bike into a "Vintage racer," however, I have grown very fond of the standard ugly styling. (Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, etc.) The stock bars are very comfortable. A bit of advice, the more uncomfortable you make your bike, the less you'll ride it. Likewise with "tricking" it out. The more time and money people lavish on their bikes, the less they ride them.

I've been riding my 66 350 Sebring for many years. I use it for commuting to work, running errands and on the freeway, where it really runs well. Mileage is fantastic, around 70 mpg. All the chrome is completely rusted, but that simply adds to the bike's charm, for me.

The best mod I made was to ditch the stock carb and replace it with a 26mm. I also use an intake manifold that is about 2" longer than stock. After a few years with that setup, I upgraded to 12V, using a Lucas coil from a Triumph and a rectifier off an old Honda. However, there are electronic ignitions available for them. Still, I've been running the stock points setup in mine for many years with no trouble whatsoever. You should probably also ditch all the stock wiring and make up a new loom with modern switches, connectors, etc. I just made up a very simple system with toggle switches.

Change the oil frequently and religiously and they run forever.

I'm a former racer and have spent plenty of time on very fast and very powerful bikes, but no bike puts as big a smile on my face as that humble little Sebring. The bike is now almost fifty years old, the lower end has never been apart and the original clutch still works fine. Compared with the other machines of its era (and even many modern machines) the Ducati single is one of the best engineered engines of its era, and is in some ways superior to many modern engines.

Have fun.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Ducatichris
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ducatichris »

Nick,
Thanks for the advice.
I Pm'ed you so check that out.
I just received Mick Walkers restoration book, and have ordered a service manual.

Nick email me at [email protected].

Please anyone else who has any advice/tips/anything that they would feel will help me build this bike
I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris
chimera
Mariana

Post by chimera »

If you don't know the history of the engine, you should remove the sludge trap in the crank and clean it. This will also give you an opportunity to check the condition of the cylinder, piston and head. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to check the kickstart shaft (teeth, bushings, stop plate) and sector gear.
Ducatichris
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ducatichris »

Thanks I will do that.
I plan on starting the actual manual labor in the next few weeks.

Chris

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”