What type of oil should I use for my 1970 450 Scrambler

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
droy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

What type of oil should I use for my 1970 450 Scrambler

Post by droy »

Going to change the oil this weekend. Can anyone recommend what type and weight I should use. I've read because of its age I should use 20/50 WT. Good idea?

Thanks.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: What type of oil should I use for my 1970 450 Scrambler

Post by Craig in France »

droy wrote:Going to change the oil this weekend. Can anyone recommend what type and weight I should use. I've read because of its age I should use 20/50
Hi,

Ducati specified either straight 40 or multigrade 20/40* (ref. page 22 of the January 1970 450 owners handbook). And that's what you should stick to. But it's your choice as to which - some owners like to stick with straight oil, others go for something which makes cold starting a little easier ... :) .

Honestly, it doesn't matter which. Main thing is change it regularly, i.e. every 2000km/1,250 miles.

HTH.

Craig

* same as the more easily available 20/50, for all practical purposes.
droy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by droy »

Having trouble finding 20W 40 motorcycle oil. I was told to use 10W 40 is this safe?
Spagjet
Mach 3

Post by Spagjet »

droy wrote:Having trouble finding 20W 40 motorcycle oil. I was told to use 10W 40 is this safe?
I worked in an engine rebuilding shop for years, I have always known the golden rule of thumb for oil suitability to be:

Roller big end- straight grade 50
Plain bearing big end- multi grade

Roller bearing bottom ends rely on thicker oil to "oil" the rollers on the big end pin whereas plain bearing bottom ends rely on actual oil pressure to "float" the big end in a suspension of oil. Rollers actually touch (roll on) the big end pin (and are meant to), plain bearings NEVER touch the big end (in a perfect world). Multi-grade oil gets "thinner" as it gets hotter for a really imporatnt reason. It needs to get in to the pressurised bottom end and out again to make way for more oil as if it stays in there too long it heats up and breaks down (in other words is no longer able to do it's job). that's why you can't use straight grade in a plain bottom end. It's also why you shouldn't use multi-grade in a roller bottom end, especially anything that starts with a ten (e.g. 10w 50) as 10 grade oil is like water as far as viscosity goes. Good way to overheat and mark up your rollers and big end pin.

I ALWAYS used Penzoil HD50 in my GTS (rollers) and have had nearly 20 years so far out of the current bottom end (changed every 2000km's or so, no speedo means a good guess is required), you haven't been able to get hold of HD50 (or any straight grade 50) in Oz for the last couple of years so I have had to go to Penrite HPR50 which is actually 40-70 multi grade which is working great so far. It's all about temperature, I live in Queensland (north part of Australia) so would have a different oil requirement than if I lived in a colder climate.

I know how big a point of contention all this "which oil is right for a Ducati" thing is but the proof's in the pudding, I'm not guessing or just repeating what I heard somewhere else, but telling you my own experience over lots of years of revving a roller big end.

By the way, if I think it's coming up on 2000k's I pull the dipstick, if it's clear as new oil I leave it alone, any sign (at all) of darkening I dump it and give it a five litre drink of the new stuff.
duranmendoza
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by duranmendoza »

Hi, just chiming into the conversation if that is ok?

I haven't been able to find straight weight oil myself. I have found Havoline Straight Weight 40, and I assume that that would be good to use? Alternatively all I can find is some 20w50 in various other brands.

I have looked for the Pennzoil and the Pentrite but it does not appear that any shops or online stores carry these. The only one I could find was the Pennzoil HD 40, which every time I went to go buy, it would state that it was sold out or unavailable.

Just trying to follow up as I am looking to change the oil and trying to keep the internals as nice as possible for the longest time.

Thanks,
Duran
droy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by droy »

Thanks all,
I ended up ordering Morris Oil from the shop that fixed my bike, Velocity Cycles in Richmond Virginia. It's formulated for vintage bikes.
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

Excellent choice on Morris Lubricants. Really good stuff, I use the synthetic oil in my 250 racing bike and I can't speak too highly of it. I used their "R" in two stroke racing bikes years ago and always found it superior to the bigger names.
joepagejr
Mariana

Post by joepagejr »

The "W" in multigrade oil stands for "winter" which means that is the grade of the oil when it is cold. So in 10W40, the oil is grade 10 when cold, then heats up and acts as grade 40.
1975 Ducati 860 GT - 850589
2002 Ducati ST4s
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

I have just gotten a 750 GT engine overhauled with various reliability mods incorporated buy Guy Martin in Montreal. I asked him what oil he recommended and he said that the bevel twin (he doesn't work on singles as far as I know) he strongly recommends straight 40 in winter and straight 50 in summer. In either case, he stressed it is critical for the oil to be warm before putting an appreciable load on it (the reason he like "gear gazers).

I have trolled the internet looking for straight 40wt and have had no luck finding it. For straight 50wt, I've gotten Lucas oil which apparently has a good reputation and is easily available here in Canada:

https://www.lucasoil.com/products/displ ... 5&loc=show

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”