Electrics on a barn find...pics included...

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Lumbee
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Electrics on a barn find...pics included...

Post by Lumbee »

Hey guys, I picked up a barn find, and am told this is a 450 engine in a 250 frame. I am anxious to drop a battery in it, and see what works, and if I have spark. From everything I can find the bike should be 6 volt? To complicate matters, the bike appears to have updated electrics. Is there a reliable way to tell if the bike is 6 or 12 volts, or should I not even bother and go ahead and acquire a 6 volt battery? Any into appreciated...

BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Electrics on a barn find...pics included...

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes would ahve been 6V originally. Look for a coil that might say 6V or 12V or some other part number that could give things away
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Lumbee
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Lumbee »

..thanx Steve, I looked at the rear light bulb, and it looks to be 6v, so I am assuming there was no voltabe change from the stock voltage. Is/was that a common change on the duc singles...to upgrade to 12 volts?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes seems a lot of folks do this, I do not know the particulars as to how. IF you need a battery we stock a very good 6V AGM type for Ducati singles.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Lumbee
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Lumbee »

..thanx Steve..I'll check it out!
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Most of the later singles from about 1965 onwards have the later type of 70w generator which will allow you to convert to 12v. These have two yellow wires coming from the generator - put a meter on them set to AC and if you have got at least 13.5 volts you can run a 12v system.

You will need to change all of the bulbs, coil and possibly horn. You can fit a 12v zenner diode and solid state rectifier to take care of the charging.

Chris

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”