Special Tools Required?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Clark
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Special Tools Required?

Post by Clark »

Hello, i’m new to this forum and to the Ducati singles. I have built many bikes over the years, presently finishing an xs650 yammy before i tackle the ducati’s. I acquired 3 bikes (mostly complete rolling chassis) and 5 complete motor’s. I am really looking forward to the first build being my 1972 350 scrambler.

Here’s my question. I was wondering what “special tools” are mandatory? I know you guys have not seen my tool box, but i have split many case’s. Not the best .. but no hack either. I picked up a book (have not read much yet) and have collected most of what i needed for the scrambler... except the “special tools”. There seems to be many so i thought i would check out what the people in the know have to say. I realize how rare some parts are and don’t want to many any error.

Thanks for your input,

The other two are a sebring and a monza jr. Thanks! :P :?:
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Special Tools Required?

Post by Craig in France »

Clark wrote: Here’s my question. I was wondering what “special tools” are mandatory?
Ok, here's a few thoughts for starters:

1. You need an exhaust nut spanner. Trying to use anything else just wrecks the nut, sooner or later. Steve sells them, btw.

2. You need some way of locking up the clutch so you can loosen/tighten engine nuts like the crank, the cam and the clutch centre. Here's the one I made, in use:

3. You need a fly wheel puller. Using the correct one is a good idea :)

4. A simple puller for the clutch cover makes sure it come off straight.

5. The proper valve spring compressor makes life easier.

Let's see what anyone else thinks ...

Ciao

Craig

P.s You DON'T need a rocker pin puller: a simple draw bolt does the job.
Clark
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Clark »

Craig, Thanks for the info. I know exactly what i need to get. It's always easier finding out from someone who has done it before.

Cheers'
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi, flywheel puller and a micrometer are essential, a cam locking tool will avoid damage too.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Clark

Coupla postscripts;

1. Look out for the left-handed thread on the camshaft nut.

2. A good book is Tom Bailey's, "Ducati Singles First Person - A Buyer's Guide To The Ducati Singles".

Ciao

Craig
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

For those inevitable moments when either really good or really bad things happen, or you just want to sit and admire how beautiful it all looks, I've found it essential to have a bottle of pleasant wine, a corkscrew and a glass amongst my special tools. :lol:

Kev
Clark
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Clark »

I tend to agree with you Kev, my shop is a place of relaxation and admiration for vintage cycles. A warm pleasant glow has it's rewards!!

I am very glad that i started this thread. Craig's head up on the left thread, and the Bob's input on the cam locking tool (i was wondering about that) helps me with the special tool needs. I'm good on the Flywheel puller and micrometer.

I am 3-4 weeks from doing the bike shuffle and starting on my scrambler. You guys have made the thought process most enjoyable. I'll post a pic when she's all done. Great site! Thanks for sharing

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”