The engine "unstucker"

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
caferacermike
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

The engine "unstucker"

Post by caferacermike »

Today with much fanfare I unstuck my stuck Duc. Yes indeed instead of lawn art it has officially become a money pit. I've lost my excuse of "I'll start working on it when the engine frees up". So I filled that hole with every slippery thing I had on hand and could not get it to free up. Then I was reading about people using grease guns to force pistons free. Me being me,
(Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture)

I produced the engine unstucker device. Most people were talking about beating up old spark plugs to make them, but I recalled a thing called a spark plug anti-fouler. I got one and a 1/4" brass pipe fit it dead nuts. It threaded in tight enough to make a seal but I backed it out, sanded everything, greased it up with some flux, tightened it back in and used a propane torch and a little solder to make it extra nice. A quick drill and tap for a 1/4"x28 grease zerk and it was all put together. Not bad for $6.

I filled the cylinder up through the plug hole with my grease gun and then threaded the "unstucker" into the plug hole. A few short strokes later I felt the piston free up. I removed the unstucker and gave it a kick, folks I'm so happy it was outside as a pint of grease shot across the yard about 35 feet.

Ah where to start on this project.
Oops, that's not a bevel.....
ajleone
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Nice

Post by ajleone »

Hey, thanks for the tip. Did I see that bike get transported out of mid-Ohio this past summer ??
Tony
Tony
70 450 Jupiter (Scrambler)
74 450 MK3
61 250 Diana (project)
66 250 Mark 3 (project)
66, 67 250 Scrambler
65 125 Bronco
76 Vespa Ciao (my daughter's)
caferacermike
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by caferacermike »

Not sure where it came from. I bought it for $250 from a guy that travels around picking up English bikes. I was watching his craigslist ads since I have a few Brit bikes myself. One day he offered up the 250 just to get rid of it. Said it was thrown on his trailer while cleaning out someone of all their bikes. He didn't have an "Unstucker" of his own and figured the bike a lost cause.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”