How can you tell a 4 speed from a 5 speed?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Slarsonroy
Mariana

How can you tell a 4 speed from a 5 speed?

Post by Slarsonroy »

Ive got a couple 250cc motors and a 350cc motor that are disassembled and would like to know how to tell if its a 4 speed or 5 speed tranny? Serial numbers are suspect, so dont want to rely on that. At least one of the motors came out of a scrambler frame (1966?). Thanks
Scott
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rick »

As you're sitting on the bike, if the DM250 is stamped on the left crankcase half(the clutch side), it was built as a 5 speed, if the DM250 is on the right case, it was built as a 4 speed. The shifter box for a 5 speed has an extra peg- you may be able to feel how many clicks you have, but that would just identify the shifter box internals. The engines must not be completely disassembled or you could count the gears on each shaft.
Slarsonroy
Mariana

Post by Slarsonroy »

Like I said, the serial numbers and case numbers are suspect, but I do have them apart. Two sets of gears for each transmission. One shaft has 4 gears, the other shaft has 5 gears. I just want to make sure they are 5 speeds.
Scott
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rick »

it's a constant mesh transmission- needs to have mating gears on both shafts, so 4 on one shaft and 5 on the other won't work
Slarsonroy
Mariana

Post by Slarsonroy »

Rick wrote:it's a constant mesh transmission- needs to have mating gears on both shafts, so 4 on one shaft and 5 on the other won't work
Thanks for pointing that out. I almost left one out with the set.
Scott

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”