Monza Jr - 16 wheels to 17 or 18?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
gregwils
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Monza Jr - 16 wheels to 17 or 18?

Post by gregwils »

I got my '66 Monza Jr project home yesterday and started looking a little more thoroughly at it. The wheels are definitely toast, the front has a small hole rusted through. Fine, a perfect excuse for 17" or 18". Cars use the +1 where you maintain the same outside diameter by going to a shorter sidewall, but I don't think that's the case here. I guess I could go to a larger sprocket if necessary.

I am assuming that 17" would be the better choice so not to diminish already modest acceleration without swapping the sprocket. My bike's stock rims are 16 x 2.25 F and 16 x 1.85 R. There appears to be tons of fender clearance, especially for the 17's.

Can I find some used rims that have the same spoke count and pattern from an Asian bike of the same era? I see lots of them on fleabay. The hubs do seem to be different sizes which would get swapped with the stock ones, but I would assume impacts the spoke length? I saw DesmoDog's project where he did the same upgrade. I would prefer not to sink $400 - $500 in a new set if I can avoid it.

Sorry for the novice question. I know next to nothing about what I am doing.
Greg
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Have put a couple of these onto 17" rims and found that it helps the handling no end. Also because of the 17" rim you have a much better choice of tyres. Normally put 2.50 front and 2.75 rear ME22 on.

I think you will find it difficult to get pre-drilled rims off anything else - In UK can get chrome Radielli rims for less than $100 each.

Chris
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Chris,

do you want to pass on your source for the rims ??? and is that less than 100 dollars US or 100 British pounds ???

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Rick,

I get my rims from Central Wheel Components and their chrome rims are less than GBP100. I havent checked recently, but I think you can get their light weight unflanged alloy ones in 36 spoke for less than GBP100

Chris

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”