Best frame for road bike project?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ducinthebay
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ducinthebay »

OK, I've decided to put the 450 R/T back to stock and run it that way, after consideration from your comments on its road-ability. But in the mean time, I've amassed a bunch of parts for a cool road single. Which frame should I seek out to put all my bits on? Is the Mach 1,2,3 frames different from the Scramblers? Are the Spanish frames better or worse than the Italian ones? Any one-off / custom frames you would suggest? Whats the ideal, or at least good?

Thanks,

Phil
:?:
Duc in the Bay

70 450 R/T
90 750 Sport
98 ST2
Jordan
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jordan »

If you have a widecase engine, that rules out using a frame designed for narrowcase engines (eg, Mach 1).
You could use a Mark 3 frame ("road" type), or an SCR ("trail bike" type).
An R/T frame would also fit.
The road-type frames had a few variations amongst themselves, mainly more gussetting for 450s.
The SCR gives a slightly higher seat height, and unless used with longer SCR forks could cause stability problems related to shorter, road-type forks. A steering damper can be used, which is what I do (after a spill that I put down to wrong geometry with shorter forks). With SCR frame, you want the longer centre stand, as fitted to SCR, or adapt. To fit road-type seat and tank, a bit of "hacket and weld" needs to be done - nothing major, but no standard rear mudguard will fit perfectly after that.
You can also, with mods to the front mounts, use the frames from the parallel twins, that have rear mounts that accept the widecase engine. The late Spanish single frames were similar (and the front mounts are already correct).

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”