Valve guide seals?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Nick
Diana

Valve guide seals?

Post by Nick »

Is there a modern car or bike valve guide seal that can be used in place of the stock item? Or, is it even necessary to use a seal at all?

Thanks
(I'm starting work on an interesting narrow-case project, photos of which will eventually follow.)
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Well that will depend on what sort of valve guides that you have in your cylinder head!

Early heads didnt have the groove in the top of the guide to take an oil seal, later ones from I think 65 onwards do have them.

They do go hard with age, but are readily available from the usual sources.

Chris
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Thanks again Chris.

I have a very complete 250 narrow case Scrambler. It runs, but the engine needs a thorough rebuild.
However, I also have a spare 350 Sebring engine which is in pretty good shape, and since the 250 is a bit underpowered....

Too, I really love the power characteristics of my Sebring (28mm Mikuni) and think that a pairing of the two would make a great bike. Plus, the 5-speed with overdrive top, etc. would make it a very usable daily rider. I'll fit the modern ignition you suggested as well.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”