Magneto question for narrow-case Diana/Scrambler

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Nick
Diana

Magneto question for narrow-case Diana/Scrambler

Post by Nick »

My Diana has started losing spark while riding. Changed coil/condenser to no effect. Original wires from mag are rotting away. Aside from replacing rotting wires, what else can one do to refurbish an old mag? (I did have the flywheel re-magnetized about 15 years ago.) Can they be rewound?
If nothing can be done about it, can one use a Sebring AC generator on the Diana/Scrambler? Or, is there some other modern replacement?

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm assuming that the lacquer or whatever else they used on the magneto coil windings has deteriorated.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Nick,

Sounds like the whole thing is breaking down - I have had the same on a number of my singles.

I now replace with a new complete replacement from electrex (www.electrexworld.co.uk) they do either a straight 12v alternator or one with a built in CDI unit.

I now have 3 of these and no problems.
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Thanks a bunch, Chris, that's perfect. I've got three narrow-case myself.

Cheers!
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Nick,

If you need any help with this drop me an e-mail on [email protected]

I am going to see the guys at Electrex next week to look into a replacement for the pushrod 98 flywheel mag with a CDI generator set up - we worked out that the one from the OHC single fits, just need a new base plate and a different taper!

Chris

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”