Hot restart updated-now second kick starter everytime

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
wrinklygit
Mariana

Hot restart updated-now second kick starter everytime

Post by wrinklygit »

the wrinklyone needs help again,sadly this year I haven't done much riding,when I have bike always starts first or second kick from cold & then after a run has usualy been parked for a couple of hours before re starting with no problems for the return home.However yesterday I took it out for a short 20-25 mile run,started second kick & performed superbly as always,cut the engine while I opened the gates & unlocked my shed & would it restart ,no to put it mildly,after nearly 20 minutes frustation checking spark,fuel etc I put it away,on returning home tonight I wheeled it out of the shed & yes it started first time.Only clues I have were good spark, plug colour of brown toast,some backfiring thro exh while trying to restart,plug was dry although eng smelt gassed up,any ideas out there ? mike b.
Last edited by wrinklygit on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I would suspect the ign. coil first,condenser if point ign. or if magneto ign. weak magnets. Seems like something is causing a high resistance when the components are in heat soak[the temp. rise after it stops]
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Hey, it's Italian.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

More seriously, condensers will do that when they go bad: work fine when starting from cold, but fail to start when hot.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
wrinklygit
Mariana

Hot restart - sebring special

Post by wrinklygit »

thanks for the replies,I did wonder about the condensor,on a previous brit bike I did mount one externaly to help with cooling,is the voltage range critical as I have some nos lucas 12v ones from my mini racing days ,mikeb
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Advise against using old condensers, as they deteriorate with age.
wrinklygit
Mariana

Post by wrinklygit »

condensers are new old stock,not used,as a further thought I am running ngk b7hs plug,would a b6hs be a better option
MorDuGuz
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by MorDuGuz »

Give a look to the tank, taps, filters, gas tubings and carbs. In august I found pink stuff all over. I wonder why there is so unstable additives in the gas. Maybe made from beetroot juice?
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

"condensers are new old stock,not used"

I don't care if they're old new stock or new old stock or just plain old, you don't want to use 'em. Get a new condenser. If that doesn't do it, try a new coil.

as a further thought I am running ngk b7hs plug,would a b6hs be a better option

No.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Mike
did you try narrowing to sparkplug gap to about 0.45 mm ?

Eldert
wrinklygit
Mariana

Post by wrinklygit »

At last solved the mystery,after lots of headscratching threw away the supressed (some people call them resistor) sparkplug cap & replaced it with non resistor/unsupressed cap,had no problems since,I can only assume the old cap was breaking down under heat.Finaly stopped raining over here by the way,lots of smiles per gallon to be had now, all the best everyone, mike b.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

I have fitted a Pazon power booster ,this does not need a condenser in cuircuit and means that the points only carry a trigger current so last a long time,also gives a better spark. Has also got a built in timing light,its mounted on the frame front downtube mostly hidden by the tank.
wrinklygit
Mariana

Post by wrinklygit »

hello bob, I saw these advertised in this months old bike mart & it prompted me to have a look at their website,the idea of the built in timing light is certainly a good idea,this is high on the shopping list at the moment together with an led charging indicator I spotted at the bristol bike show see -

aoservices.co.uk

has the pazon made any difference to performance or starting, all the best, mike b.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

My 250 is in race tune so starting is always a problem, however i dont worry about points or plug fouling anymore,the timing light is really usefull,beware these pazon units are polarity sensitve,dont buy the wrong one!
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Starting and running now good since fitting a less restrictive silencer,the silentiums reproduction type are too small internally for a hot 250.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”