450 R/T as roadbike

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ducinthebay

450 R/T as roadbike

Post by ducinthebay »

I have a 450 R/T that I have owned for 20 years, and was thinking of making a road bike out of it. Clip-ons,rearsets, SS fairing and seat, Mach 3 coffin tank, SS side covers. (like I need another project) Any advice or insights? Suspension mods, gearing, carburation, seat/tank combos, etc. Any comments would be helpful.

Phil Stob aka Duc in the Bay

Road & Race Located in Australia

Post by Guest »

You probably know this but Phil Hitchcock in NSW Australia is one of
the best sources of second hand parts for Ducati singles.

Phil's Website: http://www.roadandrace.com.au

If you new this already, sorry, just trying to help.

BevelHeaven Classifieds

Post by Guest »

Another thought, why not post something in the Classifieds here?
There is a section for Ducati Singles that's begging to be
christened!

Christo./ 8)
ARJ
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ARJ »

Why not just keep it as an RT? or add parts to make it a TS. Seems a shame to mess with it unless you can reverse all the mods. For the price of singles in the USA it would probably also be cheaper to buy a complete bike that the parts to modify yours. 'course I'm slightly biased as there are no RT's in the UK! One day....
duc in the bay

Why change my R/T

Post by duc in the bay »

While I like the R/T, I loved the looks of the road bikes so much more. I do have all the original parts for the R/T, including the lighting package, and don't plan on doing any welding on the frame. All mods will be completely reversable. I once had 5 Ducati singles, including a Mark III, which I traded for the R/T and some cash (20 years ago). I needed the money, and didn't have the space to keep them.

Looking at the frame of R/T and the wide case frame, it looks like the R/T frame is the same pattern as the 750 that followed it a year later. Is the R/T a better or worse frame for road use than the Mark III?

Duc in the Bay

Could you post a pic so we can all see the frame?

Post by Guest »

Hi Duc

If you want, take a pic and contact me and I'll explain how to upload it.
There's a couple of ways and I'm intending to post some step-by-step
details to all members soon, but in the meantime feel free to email or PM me.

Cheers,

Chris
Hugh Westbury
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Hugh Westbury »

The problem with the RT frame is that the motor was positioned as far back as possible to provide good traction. The RT has the shortest swing arm of any bike that I know of. All modern bikes - street and dirt - put the engine as far forward as possible to enhance turn-in.

I have a TS that I use as a dirt road blaster. It has great acceleration and stability (and is very cool), but she just doesn't turn. You can extend the swing arm to good effect but the wheel base gets excessive. The Jupiter handled better than RT in the dirt and for a street bike the standard frame is quite good while the RT frame would be very bad, handling-wise. The body work from a street frame won't work either, so you are stuck with the fiberglass tank.

We have miles of dirt roads, which are the last vestage of free riding in much of the country as the trails have been closed and the streets are too dangerous. I have a lot of fun blasting up to 70 mph on dirt roads - plenty exciting and it makes me smile

Hugh
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

450 R/T's

Post by rnoel1969 »

I have two 450 R/T's. One has had the frame and swing arm extended because the man I bought them from was about 6'3". I haven't been able to ride the bike because the wiring has decayed to nothing and I can't get the darn flywheel off to change out the wiring for new. Any help would be great. Thanks, Ron
janders1957
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by janders1957 »

I just posted to the classified looking for a 450 engine, then saw this thread.
Back in the mid 70's I put a 350 Ducati engine in a '71 Maico chassis. I set it up for moderate travel suspension. Being as the 350 was street legal, I just swapped the license plate over and keep street riding it. Unfortunately it was totaled in an accident.

I just bought a '77 Maico chassis to build another, with longer travel suspension, and will street license it too. Not sure yet how the longer travel and higher CG will affect handling, but I can always shorten travel if I have to. I can say the original handled very well on the street. With Metzler knobbies, I could drag the left peg on asphalt! (it stuck out further than the right).

I'd think an early 70's Maico chassis would make an excellent street/fire road chassis. There are a number of issue to deal with, and if anyone wants to try this, I'll do my best to recall my original mods. Or, once I find an engine and get started, I'll be charting my progress on my web site.

Jon
BruceD
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BruceD »

What is wrong with the RT450 in stock form on the street? :-D
Hugh Westbury
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Hugh Westbury »

The gearing can be a problem. I run 12/48, which is low enough for dirt roads but not low enough for trails. 55 mph is about the limit for extended periods on the street with this gearing. I will go back to the 13 t countershaft sprocket soon because I do have some stretches of pavement to deal with. The stock MkIII gearing puts the vibration peak at 60-65, so gearing lower doesn't hurt ridablity much as long as you stay off the Interstate.

I would like to buy a 19" front wheel in order to quicken the steering a bit - and it would look cool. Has anyone tried this?

Hugh
rnoel1969
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by rnoel1969 »

Your R/T is an exact rebleca of mine except my side covers are yellow and black.
Duck450
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Duck450 »

Ohh my gosh!! There are more out there..I thought I was the only one in the world with these problems. Hello, my name is Riter (Ritter). I am a newbee from San Diego trying to rebuilding a Ducati R/T 450. A friend of mine gave me an RT he had sitting in his back yard. I am currently trying to rebuild it, but have run into a problem. Hopefully you can help me. How in the world do you take the rear tire off???? If your RT is anything like mine, the rear mounting slots for the rear rim hub bolts are closed. Like a bicycle, the bolts are attached to the hub. You remove the rim by sliding it off the rear of the swing arm. The RT has the slots closed. I can't figure a way to get it off. I've tried prying the swing arm open, wiggling the rim and pulling the bolts. Ahhhhhrrrrrggggg!!!!

Please help... :(

Ohh and by the way, I too am thinking of making it a street bike with farings and a race kit. I have several links where to find them. You probably have them too.

Thanx
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Removing the rear wheel should not be that hard
take off one off the axle nuts , remove the snailcam chain adjuster and
pull out the axle. and pull the wheel backwards.all of this is after you remove the chain and brake cable offcourse

good luck Eldert
Duck450
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Duck450 »

To Duckinthebay:
Thank you for your response. I was able to remove the rear wheel after all. It had been sitting in my friend's backyard for over 15 years and had accumulated some dirt and rust. I thought it was one piece, but with the use of a hammer, I was able to hammer the axle out.

Thank you. I will probably be back soon, since it is my first time resotoring a bike.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”