Lucas Rita Electronic Ignition Question?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Wally Anderson
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Lucas Rita Electronic Ignition Question?

Post by Wally Anderson »

I'm building a 65 250 Monza cafe racer, I bought the bike totally disassembled. Just wondering if you have this ignition in your bike? If so, where did you installed the amplifier & regulator? A picture would be outstanding! Replies to Wally at [email protected]
TIA,
Wally
09: I presently own an 06 Sport Classic and a 65 250 bitsa.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Wally, I have installed an ignition booster unit ( very similar to Boyer in size) on the frame below the tank front mounting , it is not fully conceiled but the cables only have a short run to coil and points, I have not had to look at points since fitted as they only have to switch the transistors now and no condenser needed. Not keen on Boyer unit. Some like it enough.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Wally
a stock Ducati alternator delivers 6 volt . a Lucas Rita ignition is 12 volt
the alternator can be modified to 12 volts but the output is still not very large .
roadandrace in OZ has a pretty good conversion for the singles to convert to 12 vols .
but why would you use a Lucas Rita ign ?
the design is from the late 70s . they changed one time to a differend
powertransistor because the old one was no longer available .

production also stopped . Mistral engineering in the UK use to make the
kits for Ducati twins and singles but the owner John Carpenter stopped
making the kits because he could not longer obtain the Rita parts

i use to have Lucas Rita on my racing singles but i replaced them . they
draw a lot of amps far more then Boyer Bransden

Eldert
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Wally, As Eldert says its possible to convert the existing alt to 12v as i have done and use a modern rectifier/ regulator under the seat, I have stuck with points but use transistor unit to give the points an easy life. I appear to have plenty of power--good headlight and the battery stays up.I am curious as to how much power so i will rig up an ampmeter and see what I've got. If you can post a photo of your stator we can ID it . some are better than others .

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”