Fuel, oil etc. for a 450 Ducati

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
droy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Fuel, oil etc. for a 450 Ducati

Post by droy »

Hello Folks,
I've just bought a 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler, while I'm waiting for a new ignition switch. I have a few simple questions:
These bike were made when leaded gasoline was common, what do I do about fuel now. The guy I bought it from said I should use high test. Is this right?
The owners manual says to use F.1 SUPERMOTOROIL 20W/40 or F.1 RACING SAW 40. What would be a good brand to use?
Finally, the manual says to us a Marelli CW 260 N spark plug. What would be a good modern equivalent?

Thanks,
David
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

All of my singles run on Duckhams Q 20/50, a low detergent multigrade. However I should add that I only put that into an engine that has been completely stripped and cleaned out of any sludge/residure.

Plugs they all run great on a B7HS NGK.

Have been using Castrol valve master for years on tehse engines with no sign of valve seat erosion
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

I have been using 40 classic oil as recomended by the racer boys but i am comming round to using a multigrade, The single warms up slowly and 40 oil is slow to drain down from the head, not a problem for racers who can warm up in the pits. The thinking on multigrades was that they turn to pee in aircooled engines, some truth in this but usually after 3000 miles and we change our oil at 1000 dont we? Also Duckhams was reputedly formulated for aircool and is availiable and reasonably priced.I would be wary of synthtics which may trouble the clutch .I dont use fuel additive but dont work my bike as hard as Mr Bushell, My unconverted Norton and Ford have run for many years on unleaded with no problem.If the additive boosts octane this may help as some petrol falls well short of standard.Non desmo Ducatis do work the valves seats a bit harder than most.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”