Crankshaft end play problem?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
dlearl476
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Crankshaft end play problem?

Post by dlearl476 »

Luck either shined down on me today or rained on my parade. In the process of cleaning my engine (out of the bike, part of a restoration) I pulled the timing cover off to see if it would be easier to polish off the bike. I the process I noticed the end of the crank is moderately scored. The bushing appeared perfect.
Checking Mick Walkers's book to make sure the timing gears were in order before I put it back together (the contact breaker drive came out with the cover) I noticed a bit about making sure the end of the crank wasn't scored because the big end bearing depends on this seal for oil pressure.
Am I completely crazy not to tear the engine down and rebuild it, so I can have the crank machined and the case re-bushed?
Jordan
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jordan »

Every single engine I've worked on (about 10) had scoring on the RH end of the crankshaft, where it runs in a bush. Doing nothing about it had no bad consequences. These are very low pressure oil systems, a result of the roller bearing bigend, as distinct from plain bearing.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”