Why Most Secondhand Bakelite Damper Knobs Are Broken.....

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Andy Whitaker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Why Most Secondhand Bakelite Damper Knobs Are Broken.....

Post by Andy Whitaker »

This is quite probably obvious to most but I only discovered tonight, after careful examination, that the way you remove the top hardware (M26 x 1 chrome nut, spring, captive nut etc) from the damper rod and knob is by removing a devious little circlip!

This circlip hides inside the unthreaded captive hex nut/keeper and locates in a groove in the shaft against the spring pressure. Guess what, you need a valve spring compressor and a 10mm i.d. washer to take it all apart safely. Only Ducati could require a special tool for this design.

I assumed, possibly like many others, that the knob unscrews from the rod. It does not as far as I can see and has a firmly over-moulded hexagon end to the shaft. If you use stilsons/molegrips etc to hold the shaft and try to unscrew the bakelite knob it will shatter.
cafe250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by cafe250 »

Nice tip for a novice (like me) to know. Thanks!!!
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

bakelite knobs

Post by bobnorton »

Thats great Andy, keep em coming!!,I have rebuilt a few bikes and there is lots of seemingly trivial stuff that is not in any manuals but can hold you up, Typically " reasembly is the reverse of dismantling"!!! not much use if stripped by others 30 years ago.
Andy Whitaker
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Andy Whitaker »

Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry I appear to have posted the topic in the wrong section of the site in my enthusiasm!
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

New damper knobs are availiable from bevel rubber oz and from holland,the knob and shaft must be locked together or you will lose it, and the rod may drop onto your front wheel, and jam the steering.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”