250 Narrowcase Questions

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
cafe250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

250 Narrowcase Questions

Post by cafe250 »

1965 Ducati 250
Basket Case/Cafe Project

Hey Guys,
New to Bevel Drive Ducatis so I know I will have lots of questions. I will start with just four.
1. Does anyone have a spare Sleeve Coupling for the bevel drive shaft that they want to sell or know of a source for one?
2. Does the tool for removing the rocker shafts just thread in to the shafts and allow you to pull them out?
3. When removing the cam, does the tool for holding the cam engage the base of the cam lobe and just mechanically hold it? Seems a bit rough but I guess it's worked for all these years. Does everyone buy the special tool or is there a shop built alternative?
4. In the absence of a factory shop manual, do the Haynes manuals that I see come up on E-Bay have a comprehensive engine section? Teardown, Inspection, Specs, Re-assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Manual for 250

Post by bobnorton »

Hi I use the Clymer book for my 250 also the webb.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Manual for 250

Post by bobnorton »

Hi I use the Clymer book for my 250 also the webb.
chimera
Mariana

Post by chimera »

The rocker pins can be remover with a M5x.75 bolt. They are often stuck in the head so a sleeve with an I.D. slightly larger than the pin can be used with a long 5mm bolt/washer to extract them. The cam removal tool is a cylinder with a slot cut on the end to capture the cam lobe. If you haven't disassembled the engine, the cam nut can be loosened without the use of the holder. Use the clutch holding tool or put the transmission in gear and lock the countershaft sprocket. Release the lock tab on the cam nut washer and turn the nut clockwise (it's a left hand thread). Never had a look at the haynes manual. The clymer manual is a copy of the factory manual. Domi Racer might have the bevel shaft coupling sleeve.
cafe250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

250 Narrowcase Questions

Post by cafe250 »

Thanks for the help guys. I'll use the tips you gave me chimera. I said Haynes by mistake, I meant the Clymer manual. If it is a copy of the factory manual, I will definately try to score one off of E-bay. Thanks again for the help

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”