Setting up a 250 m3

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Setting up a 250 m3

Post by bobnorton »

I dont have the bits to set up a timing disk, for checking is there a measurement before tdc for a 250 on full advance38 deg.For ease of starting I hope to fit a decompressor , which type suits the shim type of rocker? does anyone have any parts?I am in SE ENgland.
Steve Hatfield
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Bob. Best method I know is: having marked (with felt tip) TDC on the case and flywheel, then have an electronic timing light with variable advance setting and a separate battery source available, then get the beast running with the hold down screws on the points plate slacked off to allow some movement. Set the gun for 38 degrees. Fiddle with the plate 'til felt tip marks align then secure the plate. If there's not enough plate movement to accomplish this then you may need to adjust your points to compensate. The whole process is a bit tedious but stick with it and you will prevail.

Steve
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Steve, The timing is ok at present, but it would be nice to have one of those small pointers that lock onto the notch in the crank, a couple of small dots on the outer case and it would be so easy to check/ adjust the timing with a strobe,I am currently setting the timing using the colour / combustion line on the plug , seems to work but you need good mixture and clean running to see the telltale signs.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”