Best way to proceed after 4 years of storage?

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
elmofongo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Best way to proceed after 4 years of storage?

Post by elmofongo »

Hello,

My 250 narrowcase has been in storage for the last 4 years.
I don't remember what kind of engine oil I used last time it ran.
I was wondering what is the best way to proceed.
Do I need to change the oil before trying to start it again?
Or do I need to do something more drastic (eg. dismantling)?
What type of modern oil is recommended?

Thanks
-Adriano
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

If it was stored dry, I wouldn't worry much.
Change the oil before starting, let it run, change it again and you're done.
What about fuel?
If there's still fuel in the tank, get rid of it, and use fresh fuel!!
Be sure to clean the inside of the carburetor (bowl)!
elmofongo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by elmofongo »

I'm worried about "dry spots" in the engine.
Is there a way to make sure the top end gets some lubrication before I try to start it? Do I need to pour some oil through the bevel gear cover?

Also, what oil is recommended for the NC singles?

Thanks
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

To lubricate the top end.

1) Remove spark plug.
2) Remove bevel cover on right hand side of cylinder head.
3) Kick engine over repeatedly until oil flows continuously from centre of camshaft on right side.

You could even take off the rocker covers and squirt some oil onto the camshaft and rockers as well as the above.

As for oil, I believe a 10/40 or 15/40 would be OK. Just make sure it's a pretty good one.
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

I use Bel Rey 20/50 semi-synthetic in my narrow case bikes. However, any 20/50 motorcycle oil will be fine. You can use car oil but it may make the clutch drag.
Check for spark.
If it's got spark and you've pumped some fresh oil through the motor, go ahead and see if it starts. As long as it runs OK, you're home free. If it doesn't run well, pull the carb apart, soak it in lacquer thinner (after removing all rubber items, etc. then blow it out with compressed air. Remove all jets and make sure they're clear, especially the pilot jet.
The clutch plates may be sticking after so long in storage, if the clutch won't release, push start the bike then ride it with the clutch pulled in while pressing down on the rear brake pedal, this will, eventually, free up the clutch plates.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
elmofongo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by elmofongo »

Thanks for the tips.
I'm curious why is a 20-50W oil preferred over a 10-40W oil?

-Adriano
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

If it were a modern bike, with nice tight clearances everywhere, and a close-tolerance oil pump that pumped out plenty of oil at all rpm, and if it were a liquid-cooled engine with stable temperature control, etc., 10/40 might be okay. However, your Duc is fifty years old, oil pressure is controlled by a brass bushing that could be worn, a pump that is in who-knows-what condition, an engine with 50-year-old metalurgy, an air-cooled engine, etc.
Stick to 20/50 motorcycle oil. Narrow case big ends are fragile enough as it is. Also, change the oil every 1,500 miles or so.
Also, the big end bearings on early Duc singles don't like a lot of putt-putting around at low rpm. Too much of that and you risk blowing the big-end bearing before its time.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”