Ideal 250 Cafe Racer PROJECT

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
cafeduc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ideal 250 Cafe Racer PROJECT

Post by cafeduc »

I am considering building the ultimate cafe racer project 250 Ducati and am asking for suggestions and ideas for the best factory and aftermarket parts. All help for items and sources is welcome.

Let's start with the engine and frame. How would we rate the various 250 bevel engines (Desmos are out for me)? My guess is the top is Mach 1, then Mark 3, then possibly Scrambler. Yes? And if so, what's the real differences between them, other than compression (piston), cam and carb?

For frames, are they pretty much similar or ???

Thanks.
250 Ducati Monza Cafe
250 Ducati Mark 3
250 Ducati Scrambler
Terry Protheroe
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Terry Protheroe »

Hi, I'm doing the same. My donor bike is a 1972 mototrans 250 scrambler. It came without a motor so I bought some 450 parts which will be assembled next year. The geometry is good, almost the same as a road bike and the scramblers seem to be more available and therefore cheaper than the Mach 1. The main difference is in the fork length which you can overcome by raising the forks in the clamps and using the extended top ends to mount your clip ons. That's what I'll probably do too. If you're looking for original replacement body parts, good luck. There's a bevelhead in Canada who makes very nice repros at resonable prices. I just received some parts from him and they look great. He even does fiberglass tanks, but I'm going with steel. You can see a couple of photos here: http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/WIDECASE-SINGLE
Also, Domiracer in Ohio has lots of singles parts as does Road and Race in Australia. Good luck, Terry
pablo350
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by pablo350 »

i'm going with a monza engine and scrambler frame.
cerani forks.
after market controls and other bits here and there.
akront rear rim
giuliari seat, who cares ducati thumpin' unnder you...
SS_250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by SS_250 »

Hey guys,
First post.
I am also building a Mototrans 250 (1972?) to race at ahrma and vintage events. I bought the bike on ebay and when it arrived it did not run and needed some attention. It runs great now and is so fun to drive. I am still getting use to the shift pattern and location. I have ordered Battlax BT-45 Tires and am working on a rear-set position. I will need help working out how to fabricate the rear brake lever. I am excited that others on this forum are building similar Ducs.

Cheers,

Sean Scott
Terry Protheroe
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Guzzino has some nice rearsets, not too bad at $175 or so.
http://www.guzzino.com/taforese.html

If you want to make your own, you can get the linkages here:
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Where did you get the BT45s? I've been looking for them. I need 3.25 x 18 front and 4.00 x 18 rear.

I think mines a 72 also, but the last digit on the foil label was "missing" probably yours was too. I've stripped the frame and have bought some replica parts from a bevel head, side panels, seat and front fender for a silver shotgun. Now I'm trying to build from scratch the toolboxes to go behind the side panels. Harder than it looks, getting the depth right and fitting inside the frame loops. Some photos here:
http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/album305

Good luck, Terry

Do you have more photos?
Terry Protheroe
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Guzzino has some nice rearsets, not too bad at $175 or so.
http://www.guzzino.com/taforese.html

If you want to make your own, you can get the linkages here:
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Where did you get the BT45s? I've been looking for them. I need 3.25 x 18 front and 4.00 x 18 rear.

I think mines a 72 also, but the last digit on the foil label was "missing" probably yours was too. I've stripped the frame and have bought some replica parts from a bevel head, side panels, seat and front fender for a silver shotgun. Now I'm trying to build from scratch the toolboxes to go behind the side panels. Harder than it looks, getting the depth right and fitting inside the frame loops. Some photos here:
http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/album305

Good luck, Terry

Do you have more photos?
SS_250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by SS_250 »

Thanks for the sites. I really like the parts for the linkages, very helpful.
here is the site where I bought my tires,
http://www.sandhillspowersports.com/san ... ne_bt45_06

I hope to put them on in the next week. I can't wait to see the updated look and see how they ride.
The only issue that I have been told about the mototrans is the gear for the oil pump. I guess it is plastic and have been known to fail.
Here are some pictures of how the bike looks now.

Terry Protheroe
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Hey Sean, you're welcome. I don't have to worry about the oil pump gear since it came without a motor, but I now have a whole different set of problems. Anyway, I see you're in Santa Fe. I'm working on a position there, if all goes well, I should be down there by February. Looking forward to it, the weather is so much nicer than up here in NY. 30 degrees and dropping......

Bike looks great by the way. I believe Steve has the rubber wipers for those forks. Ceriani replacements should fit. Cheap insurance against scratched stanchions.

Terry
SS_250
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by SS_250 »

Terry,
That is a crazy coincidence
If you end up in SF we will have to go and ride at sandiamotorsports or just do sme fun mountain roads. I just moved here from LA recently and love it. Such a change of lifestyle. You will have to contact me when you are here.

I see that you are a design director from your profile. What type of design? I work as a product designer. Just curious

Good luck with the bike and keep us posted with progress.
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

I plan on building a similar bike too. I'm starting with a 250 Monza. First step is to put a 350 engine into it. 8)

I think it's hard to say what the "ultimate" set up would be. Better to just go with what you like. No matter what set up you have somebody's going to say "Well, I would have THIS differently, and changed that, and..." which isn't to say what you did was wrong, just different.

The top 250 engine isn't going tobe from any certain bike, and if you find a real Mach 1 engine, you're best bet would be to sell it to someone restoring a Mach 1 and buying a Monza engine and starting with that. The best head to start with is off a Monza - it's got more metal to work with when you port the head.

Then you're going to get a different piston, and cam, and carb. Some guys love the SSI, others like using something else. your choice.

Frames are pretty much the same. Scrambler forks are longer(?) but you'll be replacing those anyway if you're going for the ultimate set up.

Anyway, My take on it is start with a '66 Monza. That's what I'm doing. And yes, I'm serious about putting a 350 into it... the 250 from mine is going into a different project...
joe1028
Mariana

build

Post by joe1028 »

hi, if you would like a few ideas i just posted a few photo's of a completed moto trans 250 today...i will add some close ups in the near future. engine is stock blueprinted with a 30 mm jrc carb (pwk- knock off).. joe@ v cycle

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”