12 volt ignition conversion

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Rick Lee 59s
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

12 volt ignition conversion

Post by Rick Lee 59s »

I have heard that you can covert a 6v single ignition over to a 12v capasitor discharge system. My question is can you use all the positive ground parts off of the old British bikes or do you have to use a negative ground rectifier and zenor diode? If you have to use a negative ground, where can I get the correct zenor doiode that would fit a Triumph heat sink?
ARJ
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

12V IGNITION CONVERSION

Post by ARJ »

The easiest way to do a conversion is to get a regulator from a bevel twin (or one of the aftermarket replacements) Change your bulbs, battery,horn, ignition coil to 12v items and that's it. If you have ducati electronic ignition ( post 71 ish) you can forget about the coil part. If you want to replace the breaker ignition with electronic you can get versions from Lucas Rita, Boyer, Newtronic, Dyna...
I have not done this conversion myself (I don't intend to ride a single at night on country roads) and I don't believe you are going to get decent lights as a result though they should be better in theory. The output from alternator is still going to be poor but with 12v you'll make more of it.
With regard to positive earth stuff don't even think of going there. Everyone is now on negative earth and there are corrosion issues with +ve earth.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

12 volt conversion

Post by Eldert »

Hi Rick
I converted my widecase to 12 volt by using a Boyer Bransden
powerbox. that way you can ditch the battery all together
the powerbox has a small capaciter inside that stores a little energy
i also fitted boyer electronic ign. i can kickstart my 450 RT in one kick

Eldert
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

Eldert

Can you run lights off the Power Box? Also, when hooking the wires from the 6V alternator to the Power Box, did you join them, or did you simply hook each wire to a separate wire on the Power Box? I'm about to rewire my Sebring.

Thanks,

Nick
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Nick
to get 12 volt out of the Sebring narrowcase alternator
you have to do some work on the stator. the one side of the coils is grounded . you have to solder these wires loose so that there not
grounded no more . you still have to keep these wires soldered together
and insulated them . if i remerber right there is a wrigt up of this whole
procedere in the DIOC newsletters in the museum section
i think it was nr 38

Eldert
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Nick
oops it was DIOC newsletter nr 37 page 7
just go to Steves site and in the menu bar on the left ( top ) click on
DIOC index and then nr 37