My 350 Sebring Commuter, aka: The urban assualt bike

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Nick
Diana

My 350 Sebring Commuter, aka: The urban assualt bike

Post by Nick »

Greetings all,

Casey Stoner's epic win in Turkey provides a fitting opportunity to remind the world of where it all started for Ducati, and to show riders around the world that these humble early Ducs are, almost fifty years later (and with a little bit of help), good running, reliable and fun-to-ride commuters.

I commute to work daily on my Sebring. It starts easily, runs perfectly and is one of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. Here's what I did to make it a dependable daily rider:

1. Ditch the stock carb for a Mikuni (or other modern mixer with a few millimeter larger bore size).

2. Ditch the stock wiring loom and rewire with two toggle switches, one for ignition, one for lights.

3. Convert to 12 volts using a Lucas coil from a Triumph and solid state electronic rectifier. sealed beam car lens at the front, 12V bulb at rear.

4. Coat interior of fuel tank to eliminate rust particles in the fuel

5. Disassemble and clean fuel petcocks

6. Change oil at 1,000 mi intervals, use semi-synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil (a magnetic drain plug would be an excellent idea).

7. I'm still using stock points ignition, never had any problems with it

8. Recovered seat with scraps from uphostery shop

9. And, as an aside, although I've finally reached that point in life where I can afford to buy any new Duc without putting much of dent in my savings, this humble Sebring puts a smile on my face like no other motorcycle--and I've ridden most of them.

Photos: Rusty: You bet, I never worry about someone stealing it, don't worry about riding in the rain, and lose no sleep about whether the chrome is pitting.

On the tank is a well-known Chinese/Japanese proverb which translates literally as: Dragon's Head, Snake's Tail — A Good Beginning and a Bad End

From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
Slarsonroy
Mariana

Post by Slarsonroy »

Hey Nick, I just picked up a bike like yours, but mine looks a lot rougher. Just missing the carb and the left side cover. Cool bike!
Scott
raptor
Mariana

It started as a SEBRING

Post by raptor »

:? It started life as a SEBRING ,a 350, but the bike was rebuilt after 20 yrs in a box into what it is now , a 350 with a high comp T140 piston ,a green/white cam ?( what level is that ) Honda T.L.S ,Yam speedo/rev counter ,BSA chrome guards ,deepp dished alloy rims,Reg document says `Historic Vehicle `so it could be any tasty litle DUCATI . BUT WILL IT FIRE =NO ,I have had some success recntly ,but has gone back to none firing mode . I think it is fuel and am interested in your convert to a `Mickuni `statement ,I ask, which one please ,or other tips the ignition contains a `Boyer Powerbox` ? Thank you Raptor
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

High Nick, I'm surprised you use the small bore silencer still, I found it very restrictive and have fitted a Norton 99 dominator cigar silencer from 1960 , looks very similar but fits ok with a sleeve and has a much bigger outlet.I also use the standard Norton hanger bracket and silencer bolts. My 250 gets out every week , not as much as yours.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”