500Sl Pantah Belt Change

If you need technical information or help with your pantah based twin Ducati F1, F3, TT1, TT2, Santamontica, Montjuich, Laguna Seca, Al'azzurra, Pantah XL/TL etc engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
fightingpantah
Mariana

500Sl Pantah Belt Change

Post by fightingpantah »

Hi GUys

New to these engines. ANy tips for changing the cam belts.

DO i need to purchase the special tools, or is it something that can be done without them.

Best brand of belt to get - brand to avoid.

I have changed the cam belts on my 1986 Alfa GTV6 - quite a job - hoping the Pantah is easier :-)

Thanks in advance.

Shane
Love italian automotive.

Living with a 1986 Alfa GTV6, a 1989 Alfa 75 TS, and a 1982 Ducati 500SL Pantah :-)
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Yeah the Pantah is lots easier.For one it probably hasn't peed oil everywhere!It's easy,Follow the book [You have a book right?] Set the horiz. cyl. on TDC and the marks are lined up.Jackshaft dot lines up with the line on the case,the cam pulley dots line up with the notches on the inner timing covers.Remove the adjusters and slip the belts off and back on.The vert. cyl. will have its intake valve open so you need to hold it in position as you slip the belt on.To tension the belts use a 5mm allen key between the fixed roller and the belt,and push the adjusting roller snug a
and tighten.Tighten the long slot side first then the pivot side.Simple!
Then roll it over by hand with the plugs out and see if the marks are right and you don't feel the valves hitting pistons.Really, it is easy.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I have BUCCI belts in stock (Kevlar) they are top shelf aftermarket and reasonable $ as well.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
fightingpantah
Mariana

Post by fightingpantah »

Thanks for that. I have a manual and it sounds simple. I like it when there are notches and dots that line up.

Thanks Guys
Love italian automotive.

Living with a 1986 Alfa GTV6, a 1989 Alfa 75 TS, and a 1982 Ducati 500SL Pantah :-)
jcslocum
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jcslocum »

Check out www.ducatisuite.com for step by step instructions. 45 min to 60 min job.

Good luck!
Jon

Return to “'Straight Head' Pantah Engines [rear exhaust faces forward] > F1, F3, Pantah, TL, XL, TT1, TT2, Al'Azzurra”