Oil Filter - news

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Oil Filter - news

Post by Chris Bushell »

Got a call from fellow twin owner Ian on Sunday and he has got confirmation that the manufacturer of the oil filter for the parrallel twin engine has ceased manufacture now - there will be no more.

I am sure that people like Giovani in Holland will have some NOS ones for a while, but that is a finite resource.

Mine has already been converted to run a Honda filter and Ian is going to do his this weekend.

Conversion requires the replacement of the bolt that goes through the centre of the filter and a spacer behind the filter and all done. Genuine Honda filters are also a lot cheaper than the originals.

Anyone need information on the bolt drop me a line and I will pass the info on.

Chris
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Yep, info please mate.
Got to keep the population of those "terrible nasty" Paralysed Twins going.
Regards,
RAD
Feral86
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Oil Filter - news

Post by Feral86 »

Hi Chris from Adelaide, any news on the filters yet?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Please post relevant and useful info directly to the forum rather than 'contact me for more info' kind of posts...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

BevHevSteve wrote:Please post relevant and useful info directly to the forum rather than 'contact me for more info' kind of posts...

Ok I can take a hint!

The part number for the Honda Filter is : 15410-426-010

With regard to the bolt the dimensions are:

od of shaft 20mm
od of flange to push up filter 30mm
Thread pitch into crankcase looks like 1.25

Length from flange to end of thread

Original filter 60mm
Honda filter 55mm

Hole up middle 13mm

We put 10 x 6mm holes to allow transfer from the inside of the bolt through to the filter. Make sure that these are within the confines of the Honda filter, the original has 4 of them too close to the flange, which could result in leakage.

The original bolt has a blocked filter valve in it, which we replicated on the 1st ones that I made; having looked at it again I wouldn't bother as the Honda filters are so cheap that I would replace with every oil change anyway. I would also now make the bolt with a length to the shoulder of 55mm.

I have a photo which shows the original on the left and two new ones on the right - but it wont let me attach it to this post. These are all 60mm long so that they can operate with either the Ducati original or Honda ones (using a 5mm ring to take up the length).
plahiff
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by plahiff »

That's great information Chris. Was wondering what I was going to do. Any chance of emailing me photos of conversion
Thanks
Paul

[email protected]
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Paul,

Photos sent this afternoon.

Chris
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Chris - just post your photos, notes etc to the forum please............... :*<:
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
500cc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 500cc »

Ah yes using the K&N filter on my bike with the filter bolt modified for oil flow, you need to re-drill 4 holes lower on the filter bolt so the oil will flow correctly to the engine, using a couple of thick rubber O rings on the top of the K&N filter part # kn-401 to seat the filter correctly in the engine. My bike runs like a champ with the new ignition installed I used this ignition system on #9 ignition curve rev limiter is set to 8100rpm there is a 9100 rpm limit also of which I don't recommend on this spark box. http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsys ... twin-.html..

I've put about 1000miles on my bike since I install it, this engine has about 20,000 miles now. I use about 2 1/2 quarts 20/50 Castrol, and 1 quart Lucas pure synthetic oil additive for a total of about 3 1/2 quarts, bike uses no oil couple small leaks from the kick start bushing that's about it, thinking about removing the kick start, as I have never used it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1aG2hc5QRg

POINTS NO MORE!

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”