New addition to the herd

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
RGB500
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

New addition to the herd

Post by RGB500 »

A buddy of mine had been telling me for years that he had a friend with a older Ducati that had been sitting up in a garage for years.

I finally went to take a look at it. I was hoping it would be a bevel twin (one can dream, right?), but no such luck.

Normally, I would have walked away from this one, but it was so clean and came with a spare engine, and the majority of parts removed from a wrecked GTV.

So it came home with me. It last ran in `83, but was prepped and put into dry storage, so it was preserved quite well.
After the good part of a day, it's back up and running.

BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

nice find, thanks for posting
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Rossco27
Mariana

Post by Rossco27 »

nice....that would look better than a television set in the lounge :)
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

Your shift lever stub on the shift box is mounted one spline off. It should be oriented at the 12 o'clock position.

ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

If You intend to run it regularly : take the sidecovers of and fix the "vents" with a good silicone. That way they don't break and get lost.
Congrats, this IS the Duc with the best roadholding (unless we talk TT).

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
nsu max
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by nsu max »

Very nice bike I've had my 500 GTL for 30 years and still love it I hope you enjoy yours.
DesmoBro
Mariana

Re: New addition to the herd

Post by DesmoBro »

I actually found this bike on craigslist and traded a 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400 for it!(amazing trade i had the suzuki in parts in my basement at the time) It was a Bear of a deal him being in CT and me in MA and I still havn't gotten the title (call the guy all the time too ,no answer) ...oh well when all is said and done it will be worth every hassle as any Ducati is worth the hassle...and I was able to put it in the living room for a Short time...
Attachments
ducsize2.jpg
....For some reason I decided to build a Fish Bike.....
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34163.0
GeoffW
Mariana

Re: New addition to the herd

Post by GeoffW »

Well done you! I lusted after one of these when I was in my late teens, but ended up being talked into a Darmah and strangely a 250 silver shotgun (I'm 6'2" so the Darmah was a good fit and the 250 ended up in Japan). The Darmah is long gone now and I've got a round case twin. In the meantime I somehow ended up with various new engine parts for one of these desmo 500 models - one day I'll figure out what the part numbers are and see if somebody needs them. Love the look of that clean 500 twin, enjoy the ride!

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”