Wiring Daigram required

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Wiring Daigram required

Post by Chris Bushell »

Well, I have finally got to the point that I have my 500 Sport Desmo on the road and running. All a bit of a panic last week, as I got a call from Classic Bike on Tuesday wanting to do an article with photo shoot on Friday!

Anyway we I got it running for the 1st time since Christmas and you can see the result in the April issue due at the end of the month.

The bike ran reasonably well, though more than a little rich - float height too low. But it did blow the main fuse for some reason.

So I sat down with the manual that I have for the Sport Desmo (which I got from DomiRacer last year) - but it is for a later version!

The bike was probabaly manufactured in 76, but not registered till 77. It had the early type cylinder head gasket arrangement.

The bit that I need is the wiring for the warning lights in the speedo head and exactly how the voltage regulater should be wired.

All help greatfully received!

Chris
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi Chris

Did you download the manual I uploaded a while ago
http://rapidshare.com/files/262673752/M ... -Desmo.pdf
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Martin,

No I hadn't and whilst not exactly the same it gives me the correct part on the regulator and I can work the warning lights back from that.

I think a couple of hours in teh garage with teh meter are going to have to wait until Saturday though, it is -2C outside at the moment.

Many thanks

Chris
LAZZERI
Mariana

Post by LAZZERI »

Hello.

I think the GTV wiring diagram is the same:
see on my web site:

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translat ... 57168.html

All my best
Gerald :-D
French Ducati enthousiast
Owned many
At the moment busy with a 500 GTV and a 650 Pantah
my web site:
paralleltwins.com
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Gerald,

Thanks for that it has given me the additional part in the headlamp that is missing on Martins.

Going back out to the garage now to re-connect everything back together. It turned out that I had a short to earth (intermitant!) on the red wire down to the generator, which is why the fuse blew.

Then to cap it all the starter motor solinoid failed this morning so the bike wouldn't turn over. Took it off and it is a Lucas part from 1993 - no surprise it packed up then!

Bike is in Classic Bike mag at the end of this month, cant wait to get my copy.

Chris
LAZZERI
Mariana

Post by LAZZERI »

Hi Chris

I am not surpised !
Electrics....I spent quite a lonf time to get every thing about right...
Keep cool boy !

Gerald :-D
French Ducati enthousiast
Owned many
At the moment busy with a 500 GTV and a 650 Pantah
my web site:
paralleltwins.com

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”