Parallel single???

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Pasophisto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Parallel single???

Post by Pasophisto »

78 500 Sport Desmo. Project.
Rebuilt carbs (thanks for the parts, Steve!), cables, etc, etc. Starts nicely, runs on one cylinder. New plugs. Cold cylinder is dry. Plug is dry. Not flooding dispite repeated cranking. Not done compression test yet. Any ideas?

Thanks
Pasophisto
Pasophisto
'98 900SS FE
'88 750 Paso
'78 ????????
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

Maybe I can help. I have owned a 500 Desmo since new in 1978. First make sure both plugs are firing when you turn the engine over. Unscrew the plugs and suspend them by their leads having them rest against the head. Push the start button and observe the spark or lack thereof. Now move on to the carbs. You might have a stuck float valve. I did once. With the fuel taps *off* remove the float bowl of the carb on the cylinder that isn't firing. Is there fuel in there? A lot? The same amount that is in the firing side's carb float bowl? Report back.
Pasophisto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Pasophisto »

Thanks Den;

Got her started. Weak spark traced to coils. Do you know where I could get replacement coils or how to upgrade to better ones?

SMS
Pasophisto
'98 900SS FE
'88 750 Paso
'78 ????????

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”