Restoring a '78 500 Sport Desmo

If you need technical information or help with your parallel twin Ducati GTL 350/500 or Sport Desmo 350/500 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Pasophisto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Restoring a '78 500 Sport Desmo

Post by Pasophisto »

Hi folks.

I have a new project. The engine turns over, it is complete, and it is red. That is the good news. The other news is that it sat for 21 years under a deck until this morning, the pipes are not original, the forks are rusty, the choke activator is snapped off, and there are climbing vines INSIDE the primary case! I appreciate the information I have received by reading posts in this thread- thank you. Now I figure a workshop manual would be a good purchase (please accept that as an invitation to recommend where I might find one), and maybe some cables, fork seals, and I might be interested in that group ring purchase- I'll know soon enough.

All suggestions (polite ones only, please) are appreciated! Keep in mind my name (yes, as a Paso owner, I am used to abuse).

Thanks all.

Pasophisto.
Pasophisto
'98 900SS FE
'88 750 Paso
'78 ????????
Craig in France
Paso 906

Sport desmo workshop manual

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Pasophisto,

I see Motomanuali list a workshop manual update for the Sport Desmo entitled, "500 SPORT DESMO ’77 AGGIORNAMENTO \ UPDATE". This may be all that was specifically printed for the Sport Desmo, the rest being essentially the same as the GTL.

Go http://www.motomanuali.com/MANUALI&CATA ... ducati.htm

Motomanuali also list a parts book, again as an update. Go http://www.motomanuali.com/MANUALI&CATA ... ducati.htm

Otherwise, I know the UK owners' club does a re-print of the parts book for the 350-500 Sport Desmo: £12, and I can try and get one for you, if you want.

HTH

Craig in UK/France
Pasophisto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Thanks Craig

Post by Pasophisto »

I appreciate that leaad. I'm good from here for the moment.

I'll call when I need more.

Cheers-

Sheldon
Pasophisto
'98 900SS FE
'88 750 Paso
'78 ????????

Return to “Parallel Twin Engines > GTL/Sport Desmo 350 & 500”