frame vin numbers....california dmv headache!

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
fluffygriffinbaby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

frame vin numbers....california dmv headache!

Post by fluffygriffinbaby »

like many others on this site, i just picked up a basketcase ducati. it's a monza jr, most likely a '67. like many older bikes the title has been lost, and so i have to go through the dmv to transfer title blah blah blah. well, in order to get a new pink, the dmv has to inspect the bike an verify that the vins match. but i cant find the frame vin! i looked on the steering head....nothing. then i checked the center tube near the battery, where the manual says it should be. again, nothing. is it burried under paint, or did ducati just slack off on stamping frames?
nothing sexier than a set of low bars
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

The VIN was on a metal tag that was stuck on the headstock. The tags are available... but I've forgotten from who. I doubt they're legal though since you need to type in the info yourself.

My guess is the CA CMV will need to issue a new VIN and tag?
fluffygriffinbaby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

hmm....

i dont know about a dmv issued number, but they might try to give me a salvage title on the bike. grr..... the metal tag would probably work. i doubt the chp inspectors are vintage bike saavy.
Bob Lancastle
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Vin foil

Post by Bob Lancastle »

Greetings from England.

I imported a Mach 1 a few years ago from Colorado which came complete with the headstock foil and for some reason the frame also had a number stamped into it just infront of the battery location.

During restoration of this bike I had to remove the foil and susequently went looking for a replacement, these can be found at the email address below

[email protected]

There are two foils available, I belive the one you require would be the black version.

If you delve into Ducati Meccanicas web site, on the opening page about half way down you will find the advertisement for these complete with the two pictures.

Good luck with your restoration, I started off with one Mach1, now I have four! Its a costly business but the rewards are worth it.

Cheers

Bob
seddy
Mariana

Use Frame Number

Post by seddy »

I purchased a 80 900ss from CA and its title used the Frame number, the Frame had been repainted and my guess was the vin plate was removed. Had no trouble getting it re-titled in CO.
My motorcycle WAS older than my girlfriend.
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

I've done battle with the California DMV on several occasions. First step when you want to register an out of state bike is an inspection at the DMV or by a "Peace Officer" (does not have to be CHP). They must fill out the Vehicle Verification form. It appears DMV verifiers are trained to look for 3 numbers: Frame number, Engine Number, and VIN that is stamped on a " Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" label that was required on all bikes imported into the US after 1971. If the vehicle is pre-1971 and does not have a FEderal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" label, you likely will be referred to the CHP for verification. It appears DMV verifiers are trained to look for this label and absent it, to refer you to the CHP to hash things out. Generally, the VIN on the Safety Standards label must match the Frame number, and the vin on the registration or Cerficate of title, otherwise, off to CHP you will go. At a CHP inspection if they will check and if no frame number can be ascertained, they will likely will issue you a new number by afixing an ugly metal tag with the new number. Generally, the CHP officers are more familier with the FMVSS labels and when they were implemented. If the bike is post 1971 and does not have a FMVSS label, they may suspect it is a gray market bike not intended for US import, and may or may not verify it. If you know a peace officer who is willing to overlook such techincalities, you may luck out and have them fill out the verfication form. All you have to do is bring in the completed form to the DMV in order to register the bike, no other inspection at the DMV is required if you have the completed Vehicle Verification Form..
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
fluffygriffinbaby
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

the bike is pre-1971. i dont know the exact year, but i'm going with '67, which according to the engine number is a pretty close guess. is the post-71 number required the frame number stamped into the actual frame rather than the foil? i ask because i'm going to be registering a '72 yamaha in a few months. it has a frame sticker, numbers stamped in, and engine numbers. as far as the monza jr goes, i'm going to get a strip of aluminum and stamp in the engine numbers and paste it on the steering head. i plan on getting a repro foil, but not until the restoration. thanks for the help!
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

I hate to bog this thread down with California specific info, but here goes:

Just registered last month a 1971 Norton Fastbac (out of state bike, from Georgia). It had an engine number, and a VIN stamped on the Federal Motorvehicle Safety Standards label, but no frame number stamped into the frame itself. Further, the engine number and the frame number did not match (as with Ducatis). All Norton literature states this was how it was done at the factory in the early 70s.

I figured I would start with the CHP, since every time I've tried to register an out of state bike that did not have an engine number, frame number (used as the VIN in CA) and a FMVSS label with a VIN, I was referred to the CHP by the DMV verifier. CHP gave me an appointment 1 month away, and my DMV appointment preceded it, so I figured I would just go to the DMV anyway and see what happened. I was told by the CHP verifier when I made the appointment that the DMV no longer verified out of state motorcycles.

At the DMV the verifier checked my Bill of Sale and signed Title Certificate, and then checked the VIN on the FMVSS label and the engine number, and compared these against the Title Certificate. He said all was in order, and signed my Verification form.....no problems....moral of the story......don't believe what anyone tells you.......especially if its me......also, under certain circumstances...if the planets are aligned...if your Karma is just right, and the lighting and mood are just so, you may be able to get a watermelon registered in California (with proof of insurance, of course)....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

DMV

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hey Stephen, I told you so! ;) [Glad it worked out finally for you]
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Your not alone,had the same BS in Australia,needed new cases for my Laverda so got a set from Over Seas,went to change the no at the rego
authority and did not have a receipt,the seller is a very well known dealer who was away for a buying trip for a month,there was no problem getting the receipt but did not want the delay,I was told twice that there was no way it would proceed with out the paper work,after weighting 2 weeks I had had enough and went higher on the feeding chain,the next bloke said
fill in this statutory declaration stating the facts and was done in 5 minutes,
just got to get the right bloke,good luck.
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Hello !

Trying to prevent a DMV headache .

I purchased a 1981 or 82 ? MHR from out of state. Maybe I need to keep looking but I don't see an import plate on the steering tube like my other 900 from 1980.

Is it going to be an issue with Cal DMV ?

regards

Serge

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”