Dual disk Brembos on '74 750GT

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Peter Tourin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Dual disk Brembos on '74 750GT

Post by Peter Tourin »

Hi - I'm new to this forum, haven't had a Duc for many years, and just picked up a '74 750GT in need of a lot of work. It's got twin disk Brembos, and I didn't think the 750GTs came with twin disks. Is this a mod or were some of them built this way? Thanks - Peter
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'74 750GT
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

twins

Post by BevHevSteve »

2nd disk was added sometime by previous owner. Not a problem, some would say the extra weight takes away from the extra braking, but hey, I am going to go dual disks on my 74 GT.... Because I like the way it looks etc etc. Are you planning on keeping it like this or changing it back to a single disk?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Tourin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Peter Tourin »

Hi Steve -

I'll keep the dual disks - I also agree they look cool. I'm just starting to look the bike over - picked it up just a few days ago. It's suffered a lot of neglect and will take lots of cleanup. Is there any table of bike production info? VIN is DM750S755587, and I'd like to find out whatever I can about it.

It's got CEV switches, not the Aprilia. It has a side ignition switch and a simple speedo/tach plate that I'm guessing is not original. I don't know the equipment too well yet, but it has a flat-face Aprilia headlamp - halogen?

I don't understand the forks yet. They look like Marzocchi's but aren't black - with the twin Brembos.

One thing that intrigues me - the heads have 2 plugs, a 2nd plug on the other side of each head. I'm interested to find out if anybody knows about this sort of modification. My cousin raced a 250 years ago - rode motorcycle messenger service in NYC during the week, would put on a megaphone, rejet and race on the weekends. He remembers having that mod done, and says it didn't do much when the muffler was on but provided more power when running with the megaphone.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to the project, and expect I'll have a bunch of questions. Aside from the identification stuff like above, I'm interested to know where good parts sources are at good prices, and if there are people I should know about other than dealers that have good parts collections. I've got a '73 Volvo 1800ES and the 1800list is really great for advice and parts - I expect I'll enjoy getting to know folks on this list.

Peter
'73 Volvo 1800ES
'74 750GT

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”