Swing arm pivot shaft, bronze bushes

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

Swing arm pivot shaft, bronze bushes

Post by rjk40 »

I have found galling on the swing arm shaft where it makes contact with the swing arm bushes. A bit of wet/oil sanding with 600 grit easily removed the little bit of galling. The bushes are in perfect condition, and there is no wobble of the fit of them to the shaft, which is nice and snug, yet rotates smoothly.

I am guessing that the factory lube might not have been adequate, and I remember that when I removed the shaft, it was definitely not packed with grease, as I will do upon reassembly.

Anyone else seen this galling?

Regards,
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Swing arm pivot shaft, bronze bushes

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes. Typical. Lube and reinstall everything since there is no wiggling....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spagjet
Mach 3

Post by Spagjet »

the galling is from no grease which you've probably already worked out. The easiest way to fix it permanently is to put a grease nipple in halfway along the swingarm pointing straight down towards the ground so you can just lay under the bike with a greasegun and give it a big drink of grease. Ducati put a grease nipple on one end which I've never understood as you end up giving one end a grease and the other goes dry. If it's halfway along you can hear the grease squeezing out both ends of the swingarm so you know they are both ok. It's a lot easier to put the grease nipple in if the swingarm is out but still possible with it installed, just make sure no drill or tap swarf ends up inside..
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Good idea on the grease fitting.
Since the swing arm is out now, that will be easy.
Thanks again to all.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that the bike is a 1975 86oGT.

Regards,
Richard

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”