What modern front end will fit a bevel headstem?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

What modern front end will fit a bevel headstem?

Post by Riv »

Anyone have any experience? (Before any heckles get raised this is for an Alchemy so originality does not apply)

I have seen '90's GSXR front ends on Alchemys but I dont know if the Suzuki triple trees are used or if specials need to be made.

Thanks
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
Zanetti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: What modern front end will fit a bevel headstem?

Post by Zanetti »

Problem is the stem diameter and bearing sizes from modern Japanese bikes are way larger than the "Ducati" dimensions in the Alchemy frame.
Theoretically you could press out the stem from a set of "modern" triple clamps and get one made to suit the Alchemy headstock but then you are stuck with whatever offset the Jap bike had.

My Alchemy has a 90's usd from a gsxr750 and I had the triple clamps with a set of different offset inserts made by Kelvin Franks who I discovered passed away last year, top bloke albeit a bit eccentric.
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Riv »

Thanks Zanetti. Are these inserts visable with the bike assembled? Could I see the inserts in a photo?

So when you say offset, you are talking about the distance that the centre of the fork leg is in front of the centre of the headstem? Is this the dimention called trail?
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
geodoc
750 GT

Post by geodoc »

When you're looking at various possibilities, you might find this 'steering geometry calculator' handy:

http://www.tonyfoale.com/software.htm
Zanetti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Zanetti »

If you're still pursuing the front end swap I ran across this site while looking for wheel bearings
http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
also put "Suzuki fork matrix" into google, retro fitting GSXR front ends to SV650's (popular clubman racer) is a common thing and a someone has collated all the relevant front end dimensions
for the last 15 years of GSXR's, TL's and Hayabusa

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”