Advice Required on fitting taper roller head bearing shells

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Blacklightning
Diana

Advice Required on fitting taper roller head bearing shells

Post by Blacklightning »

Hi, Evening All,

I'm restoring a 1979 900 Replica (MHR) number 146.

The frame has been painted and I've come to install the new taper roller head bearings upper and lower and rebuild the triple clamps. I have posted a seperate topic on advice for fitting the lower taper roller race on the base and stem.

This question is for advice on fitting the two sets of shells, upper and lower. I plan to scrape out the bearing housing in the headstock to make sure there is no paint in there to foul and then simply place the bearing shell in place, right way round and tap them into place with something of the correct diameter to fit comfortably and make them go in square and parallel.

Is there any other advice that someone would offer to fit the upper and lower bearing housing into the headstock?

Much appreciated.

Stuart
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Advice Required on fitting taper roller head bearing she

Post by BevHevSteve »

That's fine, just pound me in, I use a 2x4 between hammer and shell....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spagjet
Mach 3

Re: Advice Required on fitting taper roller head bearing she

Post by Spagjet »

you know when a bearing shell is all the way in when the sound changes, ting ting ting tonk. It's unmistakeable, just don't have the radio on or a bitchin' woman around when you do it. Level with the frame isn't in, a bit further is. A brass drift is best but mild steel is fine (an inch round or so) if you're careful as a bearing shell is a lot harder than mild steel. Best of all is a bit of pipe with a slightly smaller diameter than the shell. A little bit of grease on the outside of the shell doesn't really make it any easier to get in but a hell of a lot easier to get out next time...

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”