Vague handling

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
welshmally
Diana

Vague handling

Post by welshmally »

Hello all,

Took the 900SS out for a spin yesterday, and apart from the carbs needing a tweak to re-balance, all is good. However, on long, smooth 80 - 90 mile an hour bends, the front end seems a bit vague, like it's almost OK but not as precise for which these bikes are famous. Tyre pressures 32F 37R - I have a pair of Progressive Suspension shocks on the back and 15W oil in (standard) forks.

Would it help to up the pre-load on the shocks (on softest setting at present)? And before anybody says "get some of Steve's donkey-kicking fork springs", like many others, money's very tight at present..... :( and I'm after a Matchbox Relay as a priority (I blame teeneagers at University!)

How about a slight adjustment to TP's? - I'm running Bridgestones with plenty of tread.

I would fiddle, but it's fun to chat to you guys!!!

Hugh
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Vague handling

Post by BevHevSteve »

OK I won;t say it, but it does need to be said, your stock springs are sacked out and worthless, they are all by now.......... ~^~
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Always open to donations to a good cause, Steve :lol:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Ha ha ! But what you I guess don't realize is that you have already received one from me when I designed the fork spring kit and made them available to Ducati, laverda etc owners several years ago - you just haven't taken advantage of it yet. :)
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

You got it.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

BevHevSteve wrote:Ha ha ! But what you I guess don't realize is that you have already received one from me when I designed the fork spring kit and made them available to Ducati, laverda etc owners several years ago - you just haven't taken advantage of it yet. :)

It would really enhance Transatlantic relationships.......... I'll put a good word in for Barak with our lot over here! ;)
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

welshmally wrote:
BevHevSteve wrote:Ha ha ! But what you I guess don't realize is that you have already received one from me when I designed the fork spring kit and made them available to Ducati, laverda etc owners several years ago - you just haven't taken advantage of it yet. :)

It would really enhance Transatlantic relationships.......... I'll put a good word in for Barak with our lot over here! ;)
My guess is that new springs shipped to UK would be a little more than £100. Probably one of the less expensive parts you can buy for a Ducati. :mrgreen:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

hey if you don;t have anything actual and factual to add, then keep it out of the conversation. :)) *|* :))

Shipping is around $20 first class or less than $50 priority for the spring kit. If you want to know absolutely, register your UK address on the site https://Store.BevelHeaven.com then add the item to your cart and hit CHECKOUT then choose PAY WITH CREDIT CARD and you will see at that point the actual amounts for each shipping option that will be charged before you input any card data. Feel free to report back. I am certain it will vary slightly to what I guessed above but not by more than a few US greenbacks.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

In the interim you could try loosening the axle and pinch bolts along with the fender mountings and stroke the front end up and down a few times with the brakes held on. This will relieve some of the possibility of the fork sliders binding from mis alignment. It is easy to tweak them when assembling. Tighten the axle then the pinch bolts and finally the fender and see if it helps the front end feel. But Steves springs really do kick butt!
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Thanks WD: time to start working out what to sell to buy those springs.......... :))
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Holey cow they aren't that expensive!

Along with what was just said, it is always good to check that the sliders are exactly level meaning really that the axle slides gently into the holes without binding. If it does bind or said another way if one slider needs to be lifted a bit for the axle to slide cleanly through then adjust the stanchion tube position in the triple clamp so that the axle will cleanly and easily slide into and through both holes without having to move either fork slider.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Times is hard here in Wales - sheep keep disappearing from the fields and mysteriously ending up in the oven!

'Not expensive' is all relative, and MOT, road tax and insurance for more than 1 household vehicle have all conspired to arrive this month :(

But less of my moaning - fear not - they're on my list! Can't wait..........

BTW your website is the best Ducati-related on the net, in all respects. Keep up the good work.

Hugh
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

:rad:

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”