How to remove the swing arm on a narrow case frame?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
blaat!
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

How to remove the swing arm on a narrow case frame?

Post by blaat! »

Hi All,
I have my narrow case frame almost stripped down and I have a question about removing the swing arm (still waiting on delivery of my repair manuals). It looks like I remove the plastic plugs from both ends of the swing arm pivot, loosen the two clamping bolts on the frame and press/tap out the hollow shaft from the center of the swing arm pivot... does that sound about right? any tips? Is there a tool I can make similar to a gear puller? Should I just find a rod of the correct diameter and use a hammer to tap the shaft out? I tried tapping on it gently but it didn't move. I really prefer to avoid damaging it. Thanks!
-Jim
1995 Ducati 900 SS/CR
1966 Ducati Mach 1
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

I'm taking the opportunity to answer a question rather than continually asking them! I've just come in from the garage after spending hours re-fitting the swing arm , with new bushes and pin, to my '75 900ss which uses essentially the same technology, just bigger and the other way around, bushes in the swing arm not the frame. (Disclaimer, I did the same job on a number of singles, but the last time was 30 years ago... If anybody knows better, please post)You are right in that the pin should just tap out, often very tough to move because of corrosion ,a few tips:
1. Spray with penetrating oil (WD40, diesel fuel).
2. Remove the clamp bolts completely (if you can), drive in a small metal wedge to spring open the clamps.
3. Check if the pin is stuck in the frame bushes or the swinging arm, it should move in one of them when you lift it vertically (this will give you an idea of what you are dealing with and whether to support the swing arm and/or the frame)
4. Have a very close look that the frame hasn't been modified, these were notorious for the pin seizing in the frame and the swing arm pivoting in the clamps, people resorted to through bolts, grub screws/grease nipples, even welding to get the pin fixed to the swing arm and pivoting in the bearings.
5. Support the frame very firmly, this is critical, you can bang away for hours just twanging the frame. If the wheels and engine are in , lean against a brick wall with a solid wood spacer onto the engine plate next to the pivot. If you can put the frame on its side on the (concrete) floor it's better, block it up the same way.
6. If you have access to a lathe a few minutes making a stepped drift, I/D to fit in the pin, O/D 1mm smaller than pin O/D will save a lot of grief, but not essential.I use a bit of ductile iron gas pipe!
7.Use a big hammer, a 5lb sledge, or ideally a dead-blow with a short handle is the sort of thing. A lot of blows with a small hammer can cause a lot more damage than a few with a big one!
8. It should start to move after a few solid blows, if it doesn't, stop. You might have to resort to heat, a hydraulic press or a slide hammer (best of all if you have one).
Hope it goes well, let us know.
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
blaat!
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by blaat! »

1. penetrating oil... check
2. bolts out with wedges... check
3. pin is stuck in frame as swing arm pivots freely around pin...
4. Looks like no mods to the frame
5. motor and wheels are off... I'll lay it down and block it up on the concrete floor.
6. I have access to a lathe so I'll make a stepped rod...
7. I have a variety of hammers from past projects ;)
8. It'll be a few days... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips and confirmation on how the assembly goes together!
-Jim
1995 Ducati 900 SS/CR
1966 Ducati Mach 1
maelstrom
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by maelstrom »

Heat works wonders.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”