1974 Sport battery tray

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1974 Sport battery tray

Post by Rick »

I have a 1974 Sport ex-race bike that had the battery tray removed, but I can't find a picture of a Sport with the right side cover off- I'm not sure if the battery sits with the long dimension along the frame or across the frame. I've owned Gts that had the battery sitting across the frame and I also have a 1974SS that was a race bike- it has the battery tray running front to rear, along the frame. The source of my confusion is the factory parts manual pictures- they show the Sport sitting across the frame, and the GT sitting along the frame.
The straight(er) intake manifold would make the front to rear layout seem more logical, but the parts manual drawing is very clear- both the GT and the Sport drawing are for the side covers that attach through the cover flange instead of the cover face.
If someone knows that the SS and Sport battery trays are identical my job will be easy- just copy the SS tray that I have.
So- can anyone tell me the correct layout for a 1974 Sport battery tray?

Image[/img]
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Rick,

The alignment in the parts photo for the Sport is for the 72 Sport, a special case that had the wider frame.

73 and 74 Sports were aligned like this...

Kev
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rick »

Kev,
Thanks. I took a picture of my 74SS battery tray- the next time you have your battery out would you compare the two to see if they look the same? It's about 6 1/8"x3 3/4", or 155mm x 95mm. I expect them to be the same and I can copy this one for my Sport.
Thanks again, Rick
[img][img]http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab22 ... rytray.jpg[/img][/img]
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Rick,

Same dimensions as you specified, exactly.

Kev

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”